Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Passenger Trains > Saddle Brook Save!

Date: 03/09/17 12:12
Saddle Brook Save!
Author: PennPlat

Man jumps from car, saves elderly woman from oncoming trainPublished March 09, 2017Associated PressFacebook0 Twitter0 livefyre13 Email Print SADDLE BROOK, N.J. –  An elderly woman trying to cross the tracks in front of an oncoming train was saved by a driver who sprinted from his car and pulled her out of the way, authorities said.Jon Mango was waiting at a Saddle Brook railroad crossing when he saw a woman with two canes trying to cross Wednesday afternoon, police said. Mango jumped out of his car and guided the woman away from the tracks.Mango told WABC-TV the woman seemed scared and was struggling. "I'm watching and I see her going across and I'm like, 'This isn't feeling right,'" Mango said.A dashcam video shows Mango jump into action as the crossing lights began to flash and the nearby train sounded its horn."I saw the train was really coming. I sprinted onto the tracks, and I pulled her by the arm," Mango said. "She actually stopped because she was scared, so then I tried grabbing her arm and then really tried pulling her. She was having a lot of trouble."By the time they reached the other side of the tracks, the train had missed the woman by inches, Mango said. She was taken to a hospital as a precaution. Police praised Mango and even called his workplace to let them know what he did. But Mango said he's not a hero — he just saw that "something needed to be done."

Date: 03/09/17 12:33
Re: Saddle Brook Save!
Author: Lackawanna484

The News 12 NJ article also mentions the engineer or conductor of the train put on the brakes, slowing the train, and allowing a few extra seconds for the lady to be rescued.

This intersection is about a hundred yards south of the Midland Avenue / Erie Street crossing where several spill back accidents have taken place. The former Erie Bergen County Line is on a slight curve here, having just passed over the NYSW

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds