Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Passenger Trains > This Superliner Was Running 41 Minutes Late

Date: 03/22/17 19:43
This Superliner Was Running 41 Minutes Late
Author: walstib

Running 41 minutes off the advertised, the Coast Starlight rolls through south Seacliff tonight. The extra cars on the end are returning from service on the Reno Fun Train.

Tune in tomorrow to see whether this train made up enough time to avoid mention in the chief's late Superliner report.

Date: 03/22/17 20:02
Re: This Superliner Was Running 41 Minutes Late
Author: BoilingMan

I'm going to take a wild guess that the extra bagg leading the Horizon cars might be the one Oakland put on the ground last week?
SR

Date: 03/22/17 20:04

Could be.

But they used a baggage as a buffer previously when moving the Horizon cars, so it might have been there regardless of the grounding incident.

Date: 03/22/17 20:24
Author: SP4360

A minute late into LA and it will be on the report.

walstib Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Running 41 minutes off the advertised, the Coast
> Starlight rolls through south Seacliff tonight.
> The extra cars on the end are returning from
> service on the Reno Fun Train.
>
> Tune in tomorrow to see whether this train made up
> enough time to avoid mention in the chief's late
> Superliner report.

Date: 03/22/17 22:41
Author: Limited-Clear

The Superliner Police are on standby.

Date: 03/23/17 04:28
Author: joemvcnj

You can't put a low and high level car adjacent unless one or both have tubular diaphragms.

Date: 03/23/17 09:17
Author: StarlightRider

Still no PPC?

Date: 03/23/17 09:50

This is the same consist that went north from LA on Sunday, without a PPC, which was after the reported return date for the former Santa Fe Hi-Levels.

At the time, I couldn't tell whether it had a cross-county lounge/diner substituting for the PPC, but clearly it doesn't on this return trip.

I'll try to watch today to see if a PPC was added overnight.

Date: 03/23/17 12:04
Author: StarlightRider

walstib Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is the same consist that went north from LA
> on Sunday, without a PPC, which was after the
> reported return date for the former Santa Fe
> Hi-Levels.
>
> At the time, I couldn't tell whether it had a
> cross-county lounge/diner substituting for the
> PPC, but clearly it doesn't on this return trip.
>
> I'll try to watch today to see if a PPC was added
> overnight.

#14 departed Oxnard on time! Run down to The Spot or Island Brewery for a burger 🍔 or 🍺, and get a shot of the PPC! Excellent photo required! We must have digital proof! Hurry now.  😀

Date: 03/23/17 12:15

Train 14 just rolled through with a PPC in the consist. The baggage car on the end is heading back north, too, so I would expect more Horizons to come south in the coming days.

The light sucks during the noon hour, so no photos.

Date: 03/23/17 12:32
Author: Steeleg8

Question.  Is the "Spot" a local railfan burger stop? If so, where is it, I love a good burger.  I'm new to the central coast, spent the last 20 years in the Sacramento area.  Looking for good places to go along the coast route.  Thanks for your help.

Date: 03/23/17 12:46

If you want a good burger, I would avoid The Spot.

That said, The Spot is located on Linden Avenue in Carpinteria, about a block from the tracks. I suppose it's OK if you're at the beach and don't want to walk or drive anywhere, but if you have the means to go elsewhere, that is what I would do. 

The Habit serves a good burger, with restaurants in many locations, including near the tracks in both Ventura and Santa Barbara.

Also in Ventura is Spencer Makenzie's, a fish taco stand about a block from the tracks. You can watch trains from the side of the outdoor patio. They make a great fish 'n' chips; and the shrimp and seafood burrito is quite tasty. They offer half-price (or maybe it's 2-for-1, I forget which) fish tacos on Monday-Thursday afternoons from 3-5. It might be from 2-5, but I know for sure 3-5 works. Two Surfliners come through Ventura during the 2 p.m. hour, so that's always a good time to visit.

Also worthy of mention is Green Acres, on Los Angeles Avenue in Simi Valley. With its location across from the tracks, the all-weather, outdoor patio is a great place to watch trains. They make fantastic burgers, tri-tip sandwiches, and I think they might have ribs, too. I've yet to have a bad meal there. 

In Lompoc, give Foster Freeze on Ocean Avenue a whirl. I like their burgers.

If it's breakfast you want, the original Sambo's in Santa Barbara is great, and not far from the depot.

And lastly, I'll plug Tacos Grande in Carpinteria. It's closer to the freeway than the tracks, but the food is very good. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/17 12:50 by walstib.

Date: 03/23/17 12:54

Another place that comes to mind is Dan's Grub Shack in Atascadero. I haven't actually been there yet, but I have some friends who recently discovered the place and they rave about it.

I hope to try it on my next trip that way.

Date: 03/23/17 13:00
Author: BoilingMan

I sit outside at Hamburger Habit on Milpas in Santa Barbara. A clear view, but a bit too far from the tracks too shoot. (I guess you can see what you're missing?)
SR

Date: 03/23/17 13:13
Author: Steeleg8

With a name like Grub Shack, the food has to be good, otherwise nobody would think of going there.  When are you headed up that way, it's just a stones couple of throws away from here.

Date: 03/23/17 18:40
Author: PHall

If you're new to the Central Coast then you NEED to go get a Jalama Burger!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0472 seconds