Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Passenger Trains > Is There A Website?

Date: 04/21/17 13:27
Is There A Website?
Author: Auburn_Ed

that clearly shows the days and trains by fare? I find that trying to get the best discounts on Amtrak that I go back and forth, and back again, checking which weekdays are the cheapest fares. It takes time to find them. Also, what minimum stay requirements are there for cheaper tickets? 3 to 7 days? If you could set the parameters ahead of time to ONLY show the best discounts it would be so much easier. For instance, if I want to book ABQ-LAX, what days are cheaper? Then what days to return to satisfy the minimum stay requirements? We all do this with airline fares, how can it be done with Amtrak? And how does one book a roomette for only a PORTION of a trip to save money?

Ed

Date: 04/21/17 13:29
Re: Is There A Website?
Author: F40PHR231

Airlines do this, no reason amtrak.com can't.

Site you're looking for http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php

Date: 04/22/17 00:25
Author: chakk

As for booking part of trip in coach and part in sleeper to save money, I am nit aware of any software that figures out the best combination (or if there even is a lower fare). You could certainly try doing it by trial and error.

I don't think Amtrak offers any type of discounted round-trip fare anymore.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/22/17 07:00
Author: BRAtkinson

chakk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As for booking part of trip in coach and part in
> sleeper to save money, I am nit aware of any
> software that figures out the best combination (or
> if there even is a lower fare). You could
> certainly try doing it by trial and error.
>
> I don't think Amtrak offers any type of discounted
> round-trip fare anymore.
>
I don't think Amtrak has round trip discounts any more as well. Every travel segment is priced individually. Using Amsnag results to make a connection (or round trip) must be done train by train in my opinion. Trying to book, say, MIA-EMY, for example, would yield a very complex list of options. I found that looking for one train at a time and writing down the days of best prices then proceeding to the next leg and finding connecting dates that also have best prices. Otherwise, while one might get an very low price on the first train may end up paying premium price for the second train.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0324 seconds