Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Passenger Trains > Empire Builder via PDX or SEA?

Date: 04/25/17 23:39
Empire Builder via PDX or SEA?
Author: Proamer

I'm planning a trip to Glacier National Park on the Empire Builder this summer and debating the merits of an eastbound trip from Portland vs Seattle. I know the Seattle section has the diner and the Portland section the Sightseer lounge, but other than that difference, any opinions on which leg is more scenic from someone who's ridden both routes? Thanks!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/25/17 23:40
Re: Empire Builder via PDX or SEA?
Author: aronco

If you ride it in the summer with longer days, then I suggest the Portland - Spokane leg along the Columbia River.

Norm

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Date: 04/26/17 04:45
Author: sums007

aronco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you ride it in the summer with longer days,
> then I suggest the Portland - Spokane leg along
> the Columbia River.
>
> Norm

Agreed.

Date: 04/26/17 04:56
Author: bmarti7

sums007 Wrote:
> aronco Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you ride it in the summer with longer days,
> > then I suggest the Portland - Spokane leg along
> > the Columbia River.
> >
> > Norm
>
> Agreed.
Ditto
BB

Date: 04/26/17 05:27
Author: DeadheadFRED

Take the Portland side of it.
There is a good cafe in the Portland depot that makes food to go.
My favorite sandwich is their bacon,lettuce and tomato with excellent turkey added to it on a excellent grain bread.
Also they have a good snack shop to chose from.

Deadhead FRED

Date: 04/26/17 06:45
Author: Mudrock

I would ride out of Seattle going east and into Portland going west so you get the best of both worlds plus you could ride the Talgo back north to Seattle.

Just my thoughts on this subject!

Chris

Date: 04/26/17 07:34
Author: sagehen

Mudrock Wrote:
> I would ride out of Seattle going east and into
> Portland going west so you get the best of both
> worlds plus you could ride the Talgo back north to
> Seattle.
>
> Just my thoughts on this subject!
>
>
> Chris

Me to. I live near Vancouver, WA and take the Empire Builder 1 or 2 times a year to see my kids in Wisconsin. Always the Portland section so far, but next time, I'm taking a Talgo to Seattle and the Seattle Section just for variety.

Stan

Date: 04/26/17 09:25
Author: BobB

If you do it in the summer I'd take the Seattle section going east (getting to Seattle from Portland by a Talgo) because it will still be light over the Cascades. Coming west take the Portland section any time for the Columbia River Gorge. I wouldn't worry about the absence of a diner either way on the Portland section, especially if you're in a sleeper. There are good cold meals for sleeper passengers. In a coach, the lounge car menu is probably better for Portland passengers than the limited non-diner food available on the Seattle section. East of Spokane, of course, there's a diner and a lounge each way.

Date: 04/26/17 10:16
Author: gsnyder

One of the advantages of the Portland section, if you are in a sleeper, is that you will normally be on the last car of the train all the way to your destination (unless a PV is tacked on of course). The view out the window at the rear door can be pretty good - if the windows are clean.

Date: 04/26/17 16:03
Author: railwaybaron

Travel on the Portland Section when the days are long--either way--one of the most scenic routes on Amtrak!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0675 seconds