Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Passenger Trains > Grand Central test train

Date: 06/26/17 11:17
Grand Central test train
Author: GenePoon

Amtrak operated a test train to Grand Central Terminal today.

AMTK 95, three coaches, AMTK 711.

No photos, my longest lens won't reach over the horizon. Maybe somebody was watching?

Date: 06/26/17 12:05
Re: Grand Central test train
Author: joemvcnj

It'll be July 10th before you know it and there's still nothing on the Amtrak website as to the Empire GCT schedules. The NEC, LIRR, and NJT have disclosed theirs as of July 10th.

Date: 06/26/17 19:33
Author: ProAmtrak

What's going on, everyone's moving to GCT from Penn or what!

Date: 06/26/17 21:30

Define "everyone".

Posted from Android

Date: 06/27/17 06:15
Author: march_hare

The early AM trains that originate in Albany would be logical candidates for a temporary move, or even maybe a permanent one.  Likewise with the afternoon northbounds that terminate at Albany.

These are the trains that have the fewest connecting passengers beyond NYC.  The first two are basically unit trains of bureaucrats (including me), which can discharge into the subway system just as well at GCT as at Penn.  No rotary dumper is necessary--the cargo discharges from the train all by itself.

Date: 06/27/17 06:19

The southbound trains from Albany that return as Niagara Falls and Rutland bound trains obviously can't be the ones.
I saw a list on another chatboard a few weeks ago. There are 3 round trips scattered throughout the day. It might be done with just 2 trainsets as only 2 engine have as yet been modified.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/17 06:19 by joemvcnj.

Date: 06/28/17 12:14
Author: march_hare

Good Point. Hadn't thought about not being able to flip the consist. 

Date: 06/28/17 16:12
Author: Lackawanna484

Wasn't part of the ATK NJT LIRR plan to reduce rush hour traffic into NYP by 20%?

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0336 seconds