Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Passenger Trains > Yet Another issue concerning SMART

Date: 06/27/17 21:23
Yet Another issue concerning SMART
Author: GenePoon

The start of regular scheduled service on Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit (SMART) has been delayed several times from its management's projections. The last "firm" startup date of "late spring 2017" has come and gone and now the agency's General Manager is saying "if I were a betting man, I'd say summer."

The FRA has completed field work in its audit of the system and the bureaucrats are now back in Washington, reviewing their findings, shuffling papers, having long lunches together, picking their noses, and doing what else they do best. Scheduled service can not begin until the FRA finishes and approves, though public demonstration runs between specified stations only, began today.

Meanwhile a brouhaha is developing over barriers at the center of roadways, intended to prevent reckless drivers from crossing over the center line to get around other vehicles and the crossing gates. There are those who are complaining about vehicle damage from hitting the barriers. Anti-barrier forces are also claiming that a July 4 parade in a tiny town (unincorporated, population 2500) will be forced closer to the curb instead of marching down the middle of the street. They claim this could present a safety hazard.

As usual, the sheeple in the mass media are making a big deal out of it, presenting the anti-barrier, anti-rail side of the story.

SMART is proposing an alternate idea, rubber posts that can deflect if a vehicle hits them.

It isn't being said at this time whether this will further delay start of SMART service.

Date: 06/27/17 21:35
Re: Yet Another issue concerning SMART
Author: stevelv

Not surprised at all. It's California you're talking about here.

Date: 06/27/17 21:46
Author: px320

Reminds me of the start up at Denver International Airport in 1994.

I was there from April through November working on Under Siege II Dark Territory.

When I arrived DIA stood for "Done In April", that became "Done In August" which further translated to "Doesn't Include Airplanes."
The much maligned airport did eventually open.

Date: 06/27/17 22:11
Author: MojaveBill

Those barriers are pretty standard for quiet crossings.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 06/27/17 22:13
Author: railwaybaron

stevelv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not surprised at all. It's California you're
> talking about here.

In deed it is California, sunny days, no humidity, no mosquitoes and plenty of passenger trains serving the relatively empty beaches. Surf's Up! :)

Date: 06/27/17 23:12
Author: ChiefNWP

The crossing treatments were last summer's news. As far as I can see, SMART and the local communities worked out the issues and last years Fourth of July parade was a big success. Nothing in the media this summer.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/28/17 00:05
Author: OTG

ChiefNWP Wrote:
> The crossing treatments were last summer's news.
> As far as I can see, SMART and the local
> communities worked out the issues and last years
> Fourth of July parade was a big success. Nothing
> in the media this summer.

You're talking about Penngrove. The concrete barrier was replaced with plastic posts by SMART as a temporary measure to make the town happy. The town is paying (with county funds) to upgrade the crossing with quad gates and queue signals, and after those are installed SMART has agreed to remove the plastic barriers.

Are other towns objecting to the concrete barriers now? I wouldn't blame them myself, I'd prefer an island as opposed to basically just a curb jutting up in the middle of a main road.

Date: 06/28/17 01:09
Author: jst3751

> There are those who are complaining about
> vehicle damage from hitting the barriers.

TRANSLATION: I will do what ever I want and you better not try and stop me.

> Are other towns objecting to the concrete barriers
> now? I wouldn't blame them myself, I'd prefer an
> island as opposed to basically just a curb jutting
> up in the middle of a main road.

TRANSLATION: If you are going to make me stay on my side of the road, you better do so in a beautiful park setting way.

PEOPLE IF YOU FOLLOW THE LAWS THESE PROBLEMS WOULD NOT EXIST!

Date: 06/28/17 08:30
Author: railstiesballast

Safety Question:
Are the Penngrove parade organizers smart (pun intended) enough to contact SMART and get flag protection for their parade?
Remember the poor outcome when parade organizers near Midland, Texas, did not inform the UP of their veteran's parade?
'nuf said.

Date: 06/28/17 08:53
Author: ChrisCampi

railstiesballast Wrote:
> Safety Question:
> Are the Penngrove parade organizers smart (pun
> intended) enough to contact SMART and get flag
> protection for their parade?
> Remember the poor outcome when parade organizers
> near Midland, Texas, did not inform the UP of
> their veteran's parade?
> 'nuf said.

Wife and I meet friends for lunch there three weeks ago and they had two flag men in HiVis guarding the crossing.

Date: 06/28/17 10:06
Author: texline

I was a member of Penngrove social firemen, the group that does the annual "biggest little parade". The old guard did not want SMART. The ran a campaign to complain about three crossings. The mindset of the PSF board was the ag equipment once drove down Main Street and that should never go away. The parade was a big deal as that is a big money maker for PSF. The first year after SMART was actually running trains, SMART let Penngrove know how things were going to be. The fight was on. The board just acted on their own and members formed groups. They brought David Rabbit into it. They pestered anyone associated with SMART. PSF got six figures out of the County. The kids walking to Penngrove school were next. They got the crossing torn up multiple times to accommodate concerns. Then the Penngrove market. The County said money was a one time fix but PSF went after it the next year. SMART wanted changes and barriers. PSF had a group threaten to jack hammer them out. More meetings, more fighting. Another political bailout. Then problems with CHP and permits. The only recent change is PSF president resigned due to health issue. But a lot of deals were made and the flaggers may be there forever. That was another battle, who pays for flagging. The backhoes are out again. I watched work at Cotati and Penngrove last few days. The reality will set in for Penngrove once the train is running and the money / political favors end.

Date: 06/28/17 11:10
Author: coach

And this but one reason why I can't stand Marin County.  Too many snobs that ruin it all.  All they want is their BMW with lots of cheap gas and a freeway.

Date: 06/28/17 11:19
Author: cchan006

coach Wrote:
> And this but one reason why I can't stand Marin
> County.  Too many snobs that ruin it all.  All
> they want is their BMW with lots of cheap gas and
> a freeway.

I don't share the hate of Marin County residents, but they are more than welcome to embrace the Hwy 101 traffic.

The institutional hate of trains is amazing in this society, as I see that as the biggest root cause of all this bickering... look at the pettiness that exceeds the normal levels of NIMBYism.

Date: 06/28/17 11:49
Author: chakk

coach Wrote:
> And this but one reason why I can't stand Marin
> County.  Too many snobs that ruin it all.  All
> they want is their BMW with lots of cheap gas and
> a freeway.

One little problem with your argument -- Penngrove is in SONOMA COUNTY.

Date: 06/28/17 12:45
Author: PHall

chakk Wrote:
> coach Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And this but one reason why I can't stand Marin
> > County.  Too many snobs that ruin it all.
>  All
> > they want is their BMW with lots of cheap gas
> and
> > a freeway.
>
>
> One little problem with your argument -- Penngrove
> is in SONOMA COUNTY.

Don't confuse him, he's on a roll.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0656 seconds