Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Passenger Trains > Schumer: Amtrak is not an airline!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/17/17 12:46
Schumer: Amtrak is not an airline!
Author: Lackawanna484

On Sunday, Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) angrily opposed reports that Amtrak may introduce 2 by 3 or 3 by 3 seating in certain short and intermediate distance corridors. The Minority Leader, who has been a frequent NEC traveler for decades, called on Amtrak to find savings elsewhere.

In response, a Yahoo contributor says "what's wrong with that?" And goes on to argue that Amtrak is too dependent on direct federal handouts, should price its product similar to what it really costs, etc. Few people here will agree with this extreme view, but it's well written and well presented.

Why not? he asks.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/chuck-schumer-let-amtrak-act-like-airline-173244563.html

Date: 07/17/17 13:05
Re: Schumer: Amtrak is not an airline!
Author: andersonb109

Well, I guess Schumer has to be right about something.

Date: 07/17/17 13:05
Author: teebone

I'll never ride it again if that's the case.

Date: 07/17/17 13:12
Author: CDTX

Increasing seating capacity? Why? Nobody rides train according this administration.

Jeff

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/17/17 13:19
Author: mbutte

Amtrak has stated they are not looking at 2 & 3 seating as an option.

Reducing the seat pitch (ie, space betwen seats) especially on Superliner coaches, and then charging a lower 'economy' rate for these seats is a possibility.

Regular (current) coach seating would continue to be offered on all trains.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/17/17 13:38
Author: FiveChime

The new boss is coming from Delta Airlines!

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 07/17/17 14:41
Author: joemvcnj

We don't know which service he was talking about, but this idea has been around internally since Boardman, but they have no money to carry it out.

A few years ago, they did squeeze another row into the Superliners with the new seat frames. They also recline back 1 less notch, so in that regard, they are inferior to Amfleet-2. Seems that no one noticed that.

Date: 07/17/17 15:10
Author: badgerexpat

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> A few years ago, they did squeeze another row into
> the Superliners with the new seat frames. They
> also recline back 1 less notch, so in that regard,
> they are inferior to Amfleet-2. Seems that no one
> noticed that.

Well, the reclining angle of Superliner seats always was disappointing, and doubly so because of the really huge seat pitch on Superliner coaches, which would allow for more reclining easily. The Amfleet II seats are really quite a bit more comfortable than the Superliners', as well as of course further apart than Amfleet I with, what, 90 seats per coach, and a reclined seat back in Amfleet I equipment is a real challenge for someone behind you trying to get in or out of a seat.

As for 2 & 3 seating, like Chicago Metra commuter trains, note that Metra has about a 65% farebox recovery ratio, which in the industry is regarded as outstanding, but well below Amtrak's (which Amtrak is perpetually scolded for).

Date: 07/17/17 16:46
Author: cchan006

andersonb109 Wrote:
> Well, I guess Schumer has to be right about
> something.

The Gadfly needs his moment in the spotlight. (GONG) Next.

Date: 07/17/17 17:37
Author: BigSkyBlue

Much more welcome story than Rep. Mica's endless bloviating about Amtrak food service. Glad Rep. Mica didn't get re-elected.

Sen. Schumer is one of the 535 people on Amtrak's real board of directors. BSB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/17 17:40 by BigSkyBlue.

Date: 07/17/17 19:22

cchan006 Wrote:
> andersonb109 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Well, I guess Schumer has to be right about
> > something.
>
> The Gadfly needs his moment in the spotlight.
> (GONG) Next.

Every Sunday night on TV, in the NY metro. Senator Schumer gets air time for his Sunday afternoon press conference / diatribe about whatever is on his mind. Been that way for years

Date: 07/17/17 20:06

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Every Sunday night on TV, in the NY metro.
> Senator Schumer gets air time for his Sunday
> afternoon press conference / diatribe about
> whatever is on his mind. Been that way for years

Mica's talk couldn't "privatize" Amtrak. Neither will Schumer's talk influence wherever Amtrak is going. I care for neither side, but it seems people are still clinging to one side or another.

Date: 07/18/17 06:00
Author: joemvcnj

<Mica's talk couldn't "privatize" Amtrak. Neither will Schumer's talk influence wherever Amtrak is going. ?

Mica still had his impact. The food service is over-priced and quality is fair, at best. He also instilled paranoia in Amtrak for their food service deficit, which they will not shake despite his constituency firing him last election.

Schumer is supportive of Amtrak. Amtrak would be stupid to bite the hand that feeds them, though it would not surprise me in the least.

Date: 07/18/17 06:21

"Frequent NEC traveler" doesn't apply to many senators or representatives any more.

I'd be nice to any I found..

Posted from Android

Date: 07/18/17 07:09

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Mica still had his impact. The food service is
> over-priced and quality is fair, at best. He also
> instilled paranoia in Amtrak for their food
> service deficit, which they will not shake despite
> his constituency firing him last election.
>
> Schumer is supportive of Amtrak. Amtrak would be
> stupid to bite the hand that feeds them, though it
> would not surprise me in the least.

I'll patiently wait to see if Schumer can convince Moorman to pick another successor, to back up his talk that "Amtrak is not an airline!" I'm not holding my breath.

There were comments made few years ago that many ex-airline types were in Amtrak's management. If this is still true, then that fact might have influenced Amtrak's decision to pick Anderson more than anything else. Schumer can work on getting rid of that element within Amtrak, if he is so capable.

I think it's time we start "shooting the messenger (politician)." By the way, I'm not disagreeing with what Schumer is saying, but as I said somewhere else, I try not to let my own bias influence me too much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/17 07:10 by cchan006.

Date: 07/18/17 07:27
Author: jfrank39

Schumer is an idiot.

Date: 07/18/17 11:14

Schumer's been a pretty good friend to Amtrak, all thing considered. He, Cory Booker, Rod Frelinghuysen, and Bob Martinez are doing a lot of work trying to get a coalition behind the Hudson River Tunnel project.

Date: 07/18/17 18:19
Author: WP-M2051

andersonb109 Wrote:
> Well, I guess Schumer has to be right about
> something.

Always time for a Fox News comment.

Date: 07/18/17 18:21
Author: cutboy2

Amtrak  competion  strong   from  cheap  bus  services.   You  don't  have to  buy the  cheapest  seat!! Gas  at   record  low  prices.  Self  driving  cars  coming (maybe).   Trains  need  all the  markets they  can  get.  Deluxe  bedrooms and  economy coaches. Why not!!

Date: 07/18/17 18:27

cutboy2 Wrote:
> Amtrak  competion  strong   from  cheap  bus
>  services.   You  don't  have to  buy the
>  cheapest  seat!! Gas  at   record  low
>  prices.  Self  driving  cars  coming
> (maybe).   Trains  need  all the  markets they
>  can  get.  Deluxe  bedrooms and  economy
> coaches. Why not!!

Cheap bus services are a huge challenge in the NEC zone. The "Chinatown" buses to Boston, a slew of competitors in every direction.

Edited to add:

When my niece was a student in Boston, my sister used to pay for Acela / regional train service to and from NJ for her. After she moved out and was paying for herself, she took the buses. I've done it a few times. Wi-Fi is good,, seats are OK. Saving $50 is good, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/17 07:42 by Lackawanna484.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0798 seconds