Home Open Account Help 215 users online

Passenger Trains > [Amtrak] Rate today's trip and OBS crew, please...

Date: 07/18/17 18:50
[Amtrak] Rate today's trip and OBS crew, please...
Author: Lackawanna484

Back when I was a medallion level flyer on Continental and United, I used to get a post-flight survey after ever second or third trip. I wonder if Mr Anderson (of Delta and Northwestern) will do the same?

I've often thought that the really exceptional Amtrak employees should get some concrete benefit from their good efforts, and the lazy slugs should have an opportunity to get better. One of the easiest ways would be to award bidding points for superb and good results in company initiated surveys of passengers. Once they reach some critical mass of votes. Good results? Add a year or two or three of seniority for bidding rights. Poor results? Have an opportunity to go to charm school at company expense.

Some of the Continental surveys were so targeted, I knew they were looking at something specific. Announcements? Did you feel welcomed, or was the crew abrupt, etc? Some were very general, asking about the boarding area, meals (remember them?), announcements about connections, and so on.

Amtrak has all the info it needs to assign points, and it even surveys a small number of passengers already. Even beginning the survey process might create an incentive for some folks to get better. Actually changing rights would likely require an act of Congress, and these Congress folks don't seem able to act on anything except collecting money...

Date: 07/18/17 19:04
Re: [Amtrak] Rate today's trip and OBS crew, please...
Author: RailThunder

It would be interesting to see comments from coach passengers on long haul trains rating the crew on the 2nd and 3rd days of the trip when the crew likely had far less sleep than they did and heaven forbid new crammed in seating. I saw many princesses turn into witches and princes turn into Godzilla during my TA days. I also was personally sent thank you letters from passengers with copies of correspondence they sent to HQ and it never made it back to me on the company side, yet other employees got kudos. So not so sure the communication would always reach those who performed the good work.

Then there is which one crew member would be a survey vent post when the trains got later? The reality is the surveys should cover how the train was treated on time performance wise as that in itself makes or breaks many future travel experiences. Those kind of surveys would be far more powerful in front of elected officials. I could go on, but I digress.

Date: 07/18/17 19:29
Author: stash

Seniority is likely part of the union contract. Jumping the board with "points" defeats the purpose.

I've received surveys from Amtrak. What's the big deal?

Posted from Android

Date: 07/18/17 20:25
Author: BoilingMan

There were (still are, I suppose) cards for passengers to fill out, much as you describe, for the Capitol & San Joaquin trains.  Certain employees somehow felt it worth their time to "stuff the ballet box" with favorable comment cards.  I'm not sure how they gamed the system, but they dominated the "Atta Boy" bulletin board in the Oakland Crew Base..  It was amazing!  There was one guy who easily generated more than half cards posted!  (he's gone now- his "habits" caught up with him.  Yes, Amtrak does fire folks-  union protection is much exaggerated here on TO)).
If I ever generated a costumer comment in my 30+yrs as an LSA, I sure never heard about it.  I just kept my head down and did my thing.  Along the way I generated the highest sales on the Capitols for several years running (management couldn't believe it either- they checked their math 3 times over...  SR?  THAT slacker?!!), and saved one life (The Heimlich thing works!  Who Knew?).  I held #1 in the Oakland roster for about 15yrs, so I guess THAT carrot was lost on me.
I was largely un-noticed as best I can tell.  But I did enjoy myself...
SR

Date: 07/19/17 03:14
Author: andersonb109

Surveys should be sent on line to customers. NOT given out on the trains to prevent employees abusing the system. I get a survey from Delta every time I fly. It's usually about airport staff and conditions rather than staff on the aircraft. I also get a survey every time I speak to a Delta agent which in my case is frequently. I have never gotten a survey from Amtrak asking if I would hire the last agent I spoke with (probably not with some exceptions). Points in your account are also nice. I once had a snarky purser on Delta One (Business) who was somewhat rude and wouldn't take the time to prepare my meal the way I requested (as others had done in the past....a $6,000 fare should at least net food served the way you want it if possible). A very polite complaint call to Delta produced an extra 5,000 miles in my account. That goes a long way to establish a good relationship between the carrier and customer.

Date: 07/19/17 11:46
Author: BRAtkinson

For what it's worth, I'm pretty much fed up with getting a survey after almost every interaction with some kind of vendor. Even contacting the cable company will result in getting a survey! And as far as telephone surveys, except for the quarterly US Census Bureau survey, I hang up on them.

I used to get mailed surveys from Amtrak about once every 6 months. It was usually about a NEC segment I had ridden as part of a long distance trip. I don't recall ever receiving a survey regarding my experience on a LD train...interesting. And, since reaching AGR Select status a couple years ago, I haven't heard "boo" from them! Perhaps they realized I'm generally easy to please.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0543 seconds