Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Passenger Trains > LA Metro Gold line and Surfline trip

Date: 07/24/17 21:54
LA Metro Gold line and Surfline trip
Author: cctgm

I need to get to San Diego for an FRA Safety seminar and California Shortline Railroad Association meeting and decided to try and use Metro and Amtrak rather than drive and then have to pay high parking fees at the Meeting hotel in San Diego. Started at the Lake St Station in Pasadena and took ther Gold Line to LA Union Station . Ride was quick and not hassle getting a TAP fare card and I used my senior discount. On Arrival at LAUS went to Amtrak and checked my wife's and my bag , the Amtrak agent was quick and friendly and then found that since we had business class tickets we could use the Amtrak Metropolitian lounge while waiting on our train to San Diego.
The lounge was clean and well stocked with snacks and driinks and Kenneth the Lounge attendant was very helpful and seem to enjoy his job.
Headed to our train which was listed as track 9A and when we got to the Platform I notices a train on track 11 backing down to add a coach and being a railroad thought it odd the train was on track 11, but maybe due to Comic-Con and Delmar they added another car. So While my wife and a few other passengers stayed at track 9 I went to track 11 and found Amtrak employee Moises and asked if this was train 774 he said yes and I told him there were folks on track 9i waiting he got right on the radio and made sure someone went to track 9 and then I heard an announcement of the track change and I also called my wife on the cell phone and she came to track 11 with the other passengers. This would be the only hiccup on this trip.
Boarded the train and made sure we were on the Ocean side of the train and settled into business class seat. Wow nice seats sure beats the airlines with power plugs to boot. Entire Amtrak crew on board was very professional and very nice and did a great job and Tim the Conductor did a great job with the station announcements and was very nice to the riders. He and I talked and even compared ticket punch symbols from a past life I had on the EL working out of Hoboken. Train ride down the coast is great and we got in on time and considering the Crowds at San Diego the luggage came off quick and we walked to the Hotel . On the return we will not check our bags as there was plenty of room for the bags in the business class. A great trip that beats driving with fantastic scenery and a fine Amtrak Crew. Also the engineer did a great job of train handling, ( note I. Was a locomotive engineer ) Will post on the return trip but this is now my favorite way to get to San Diego. Best of all got to use the senior fare on Metro and Amtrak.

Date: 07/29/17 13:14
Re: LA Metro Gold line and Surfline trip
Author: gcm

Sounds like a great trip.

Gary

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0766 seconds