Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Passenger Trains > What happened to #29 near Chicago?

Date: 09/22/17 08:02
What happened to #29 near Chicago?
Author: twropr

When listening to the Chesterton, IN Railstream, I heard NS' Chicago West tell #371 (Pere Marquette) that he could pass #29 (Capitol Limited). Noting that #371 was only two min. LT leaving its last station (St. Joseph, MI) and #29 was 27 min. Lt at South Bend, with both trains now showing projected arrivals into Chicago over an hour late infers that something must have happened to stop #29.
Andy

Date: 09/22/17 09:27
Re: What happened to #29 near Chicago?
Author: texline

I read a post from someone on board that said it hit a truck. No injuries. Some damage.

Date: 09/22/17 13:37
Author: PRRFan

Amtrak #29 Capitol Ltd just clipped the end of a trailer at Whiting In. 119th st. crossing. I was a block north in the shade,( 92* today,) and heard the Capitol blowing for the

crossing , Knew something was amiss as he laid on the horn the whole way till he hit the trailer. Must have been low speed , as the trailer was pushed 10 or 12 feet.

Engineer was a pro, and stopped from track speed. Good eye, radio said no injuries to passengers in the cars.
PRRFan

Date: 09/22/17 14:35
Author: TipsyMcStagger

Wow, that is some good work by the engineer. Could have been far worse, that almost looks like it would buff out.

Date: 09/22/17 17:57
Author: santafedan

Is that the engineer in the cab? It is SOP to stay in the loco?

Date: 09/22/17 21:06
Author: AmHog

Yes it is. The engineer has the only radio that can reach the dispatcher. I was always told to stay on the engine and have law enforcement come to you. The conductor, A/C and RR Police or company officers handle everything on the ground.

Date: 09/23/17 11:00
Author: IC_2024

Way to go, PRRFan! Great photos on spot for the action! And glad it wasn't a bad one-- eagle eye engr was on it.
As Amhog said, the engr needs to stay at controls afterwards-- LEO can come for statement in cab, and crew takes care of ground work.

Date: 09/23/17 11:29
Author: colehour

I wonder why the trailer was in the ROW. Had the driver tried to beat the train, or was he waiting for another train crossing on the CSX or CN tracks?

Date: 09/23/17 17:05
Author: TristateSteam

The way I was taught, learning to drive truck, if it don't fit; don't commit. The trucker will probably loose his job.

Date: 09/23/17 17:14
Author: DavidJustinLynch

TristateSteam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The way I was taught, learning to drive truck, if
> it don't fit; don't commit. The trucker will
> probably loose his job.

As well he should. Another reason for quad gates at all crossings, particularly in urban areas.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds