Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Passenger Trains > Steepest Grade?

Date: 11/24/17 17:19
Steepest Grade?
Author: amtrakbill

I see the new line from Seattle to Tacoma has a grade of 2.85%.

What is the steepest grade on the Amtrak system?

Date: 11/24/17 17:24
Re: Steepest Grade?
Author: timz

East slope of Raton has 3.4 miles that averages more than 3% compensated-- probably 3.3% or so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/17 17:55 by timz.

Date: 11/24/17 18:07
Author: 1976

According to timetable grade chart, Raton tops out at 3.5% near the summit.

Date: 11/24/17 19:16
Author: railstiesballast

AFAIK the original Santa Fe Cajon Pass line, now Track 3, is also about 3%. Amtrak, with its high horsepower to weight ratio and good braking, often uses it both up (east) and west (down).
Before CTC, when Cajon Pass was double track ABS territory, this track was westward only, leaving the newer 2.2% grade for eastward (uphill) trains. Getting big freight trains down that 3% grade was, shall we say, a professional challenge to all the Santa Fe and UP engineers.

Date: 11/24/17 22:14
Author: MojaveBill

I believe that about Raton. Try the highway! I almost stopped while pulling that grade with a fully-loaded U-Haul box van with my car tacked-on behind in 1994. Down to 3 mph at the top!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 11/25/17 03:19
Author: sphogger

How long is the Seattle / Tacoma grade?

Is this route strictly for passenger?

Sphogger

Date: 11/25/17 10:09
Author: a737flyer

2.85 is correct and it runs for a little over a mile and a half. That line, modified a few years ago was the access to the Northern Pacifics South Tacoma shops. It's currently part of the Prairie line to Lakewood Sounder station. That hill caused a minor conundrum during locomotive development for the Sounder trains when it was discovered the locomotive was unable to start the train if it had to stop on the hill, which was remedied quickly. The line supposedly carry no freight.

Date: 11/25/17 10:19
Author: TAW

sphogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How long is the Seattle / Tacoma grade?

2.87% for .9 miles (north end of the grade, new railroad) and 2.2% for .4 miles (south end of the grade on the original NP alignment)

>
> Is this route strictly for passenger?

It is intended strictly for passengers. Sound Transit managed to get the EIS approved by saying that freight will never use it. At some point in the future when that is forgotten, perhaps Tacoma Rail will use it to move the local from the Nalley Valley and Lakewood industries to Tacoma instead of going by way of Nisqually. The line was intended to be strictly passenger and Sound Transit owns it, so that remains to be seen.

Since Tacoma Rail is accustomed to running up and down the old MILW line, which is 3.2% full of 10 degree curves, they won't have a problem if they go that way.

The other way around, when it came time to start testing at passenger speed, the only people qualified on the line had never been on it over 10 mph.

TAW

Date: 11/25/17 10:25
Author: TAW

a737flyer Wrote:
> 2.85 is correct and it runs for a little over a
> mile and a half. That line, modified a few years
> ago was the access to the Northern Pacifics South
> Tacoma shops. It's currently part of the Prairie
> line to Lakewood Sounder station. That hill
> caused a minor conundrum during locomotive
> development for the Sounder trains when it was
> discovered the locomotive was unable to start the
> train if it had to stop on the hill, which was
> remedied quickly. The line supposedly carry no
> freight.

However, the test was not objective. I had designed 3.2% for 3000 feet on tangent track. They took a Sounder train up the gulch on the MILW 3.2% on light old rusty rail on Class 1 track (alignment and cross level nothing like passenger track) and 10 degree curves for over a mile and decreed that it wouldn't work. That's fine. They figured out 2.87% and all I wanted was to eliminate the Pacific Avenue, Tacoma Ave, 26th grade crossings, which was accomplished.

TAW

Date: 11/26/17 20:24
Author: ProAmtrak

MojaveBill Wrote:
> I believe that about Raton. Try the highway! I
> almost stopped while pulling that grade with a
> fully-loaded U-Haul box van with my car tacked-on
> behind in 1994. Down to 3 mph at the top!

What's the % on I-25 Bill because I know truckers hate grades that're very steep, the Grapevine on I-5 coming out of the San Jaoquin Valley's nasty!

Posted from Android

Date: 11/26/17 21:38
Author: 1976

ProAmtrak Wrote:
> MojaveBill Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I believe that about Raton. Try the highway! I
> > almost stopped while pulling that grade with a
> > fully-loaded U-Haul box van with my car
> tacked-on
> > behind in 1994. Down to 3 mph at the top!
>
> What's the % on I-25 Bill because I know truckers
> hate grades that're very steep, the Grapevine on
> I-5 coming out of the San Jaoquin Valley's nasty!
>
> Posted from Android

6%

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0481 seconds