Home Open Account Help 185 users online

Passenger Trains > Don't Drive on Metra Platforms

Date: 01/18/18 07:53
Don't Drive on Metra Platforms
Author: kevink

Apparently some people think it's okay to drive on Metra platforms. An intoxicated driver in Lisle IL found out the hard way it is not. He got the two driver's side tires off the platform and an eastbound BNSF coal train took care of his car.

http://wgntv.com/2018/01/17/man-charged-with-dui-after-driving-onto-train-platform/

Date: 01/18/18 08:02
Re: Don't Drive on Metra Platforms
Author: WW

No doubt some media puke will twist this around to where it's the railroad's fault that this "misguided soul's" car was destroyed.

Date: 01/18/18 08:14
Author: joemvcnj

A couple of months ago, someone drove right onto the Mineola, LIRR platform, perpendicularly, with the front of the auto teetering off the edge of the high level platform. The next (passenger) train stopped in time.

Someone or other will say its the railroads fault there was no guardrail along the back of the platform.

Date: 01/18/18 09:35
Author: NGotwalt

Nah, I don’t think there is much sympathy for people operating cars under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Nick

Date: 01/18/18 12:14
Author: BCutter

I have zero sympathy for drivers who operate while under the influence or either alcohol or drugs. I have worked too many accidents where the intoxicated driver got off fairly lightly while the occupants of the other car (or the pedestrian) were killed or severely injured.

Bruce

Date: 01/18/18 13:53
Author: jst3751

NGotwalt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nah, I don’t think there is much sympathy for
> people operating cars under the influence of drugs
> or alcohol.
> Nick

You are wrong. There are a lot of people completely sympathetic with people driving and other things while under the influence. Manufactures, distributors and sellers of alcoholic beverages. Advertising agencies.

The volume of alcohol sold by a bar each night garantees that many if not most of the patrons will leave there intoxicated.

And lets not forget all the lawyers to defend them all.

Date: 01/18/18 14:10
Author: DevalDragon

Damn. I was hoping for some pictures :)

Date: 01/18/18 15:27
Author: WW

I would think that the train of crew of that train would feel that an impaired driver putting his vehicle on the track where their train would strike it is directly related to railroading. I believe that the circumstances, policies, etc. that led to that incident do relate to railroading, just as we discuss weather on this forum as it relates to railroading.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds