Home Open Account Help 182 users online

Passenger Trains > Almost as good as a Dome Car

Date: 01/21/18 07:04
Almost as good as a Dome Car
Author: kbehling

These photos were taken by my daughter last week out of the the front door widow of the lounge car on #27.

Date: 01/21/18 07:12
Re: Almost as good as a Dome Car
Author: joemvcnj

That window is usually filthy. The diesel fumes coming through that doorway is not good.

Date: 01/21/18 07:21
Author: RailThunder

It is one of the great travesties of train travel that there aren't domes or modern versions of them to see ahead. Hopefully, the next generation of equipment down the road will address and fix it forever.

Date: 01/21/18 08:21
Author: BoilingMan

There is a cover that fits over the diaphragm of the leading car to seal out the exhaust fumes. For some reason the guys in Portland & Spokane fumble this task all the time- it drove the Amtrak FDA man nuts!
SR

Date: 01/21/18 08:47
Author: GenePoon

That was a problem on the Pioneer west of the split from the Zephyr; fumes in the leading Diner/Lounge would kill the appetite. More than one LSA had a fix. The Handyman's Secret Weapon...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/18 13:29 by GenePoon.

Date: 01/21/18 09:11
Author: 8notch

I like photo #3. The clear signal in the distance. Could be IOTD!,

Date: 01/21/18 09:46
Author: walstib

Come on guys, standing in the doorway that has potential diesel fumes leaking in isn’t anywhere near close to being anything like a dome car.

Yeah, the pictures are ok, but as far as rider experience goes, they’re not even in the same league.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/21/18 10:20
Author: railstiesballast

That is a clean a glass as I have seen.
While it is not a "dome car" view, if it makes him (or me, I sometimes do it too) happy, I don't really care about negative comments that it is not a dome car.
At least there still is a lounge car and the trains are still running.

Date: 01/21/18 12:07
Author: kbehling

I agree it is not near a dome car. But it shows what we are missing without one.

Date: 01/21/18 16:39
Author: 69440

Any forward glass view that is a glint of the dome car experience is good. As for diesel exhaust, I'll take it over the continuous sewer smell of an Amtrak toilet retention tank that hasn't been serviced.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0288 seconds