Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Passenger Trains > 96 hour adventure- day 2

Date: 01/25/18 17:54
96 hour adventure- day 2
Author: DavidP

Day two of my cross country trip has gone extremely well. The Lake Shore had fallen about forty-five minutes behind and Toledo, but with no further delays we were into Chicago only a few minutes off schedule. On time performance, good crew, and everything in the sleeper working - what more could you want? Sure, there are the usual little Am-noyances - crew occupying three of the six tables in the cafe, rough ride on the old Water Level Route, sloppy look of the Amfleet II "diner", but if you sweat the small stuff you'll never enjoy an Amtrak trip. One thing that surprised and disappointed me is how empty the Lake Shore was. Less than 20 in the single Boston coach, and less than sixty in two New York coaches, with a third kept empty the whole trip. Biz class never had more than five passengers. Sleepers occupancy seemed better, but hardly a full house.

Got very lucky with the winter weather in Chicago - sunshine and above freezing temps! I took advantage and ran through Millennium and Grant Parks past the Aquarium, then along Roosevelt Road for that classic railfan experience. Of course it's not your grandfather's Roosevelt Road any more - even has a Whole Foods, and which proved to be a good place to stock up on snacks for the next leg of the trip. Then back to the Met Lounge for a shower, and a quick lunch before boarding the Empire Builder for Portland. Patronage on the Builder is a little better, but still plenty of open space. We stayed pretty much on time until taking a twenty-five minute delay outside Tomah for opposing freight traffic. Now back on the move having just crossed the Mississippi.

(1) Empty coach on the LSL.

(2) Pretty sure this is the Capitol's consist being turned.

(3) Four Amish girls waiting for their train in the Great Hall.

Dave

Date: 01/25/18 18:17
Re: 96 hour adventure- day 2
Author: czephyr17

Thanks for the update and photos. January through March is typically the slowest travel period for Amtrak long distance routes, so not surprised by your reports of low travel counts.

Date: 01/25/18 18:50
Author: mdogg

I'm enjoying your documentation of your trip. Yes, 49 is empty, but common this time of the year. I've been on 48 and 49 in the summer months, and it is FULL. Enjoy your trip, and thanks for the posts.

Date: 01/25/18 19:52

Thanks for the comments. Yes, it's definitely the slow travel season for every mode. My United ticket back to Boston from California is only $125!

Here a few more pics:

4) A couple of pairs of B32s at the Chicago facility. Haven't seen them back to back like that in many years.

5) From left to right, I think that's the CZ, a Midwest Superliner set, the Cardinal, the Capitol, and the Texas Eagle.

6) Shower room at the Met Lounge...nice addition!

Dave

Date: 01/25/18 19:59

The upstairs at the Met Lounge is dubbed the Pennsylvania Room....there are some great pictures on the wall. Particularly interesting and s the one of the Santa Fe sleeper and caboose at the south end of Union station. I expect it's one of the 1950s-era transcontinental Pullmans being transferred from Dearborn station.

Date: 01/25/18 20:07

Three more before we arrive in St. Paul (almost on time):

10) By some quirk of pricing, I was able to get a bedroom for about the same number of AGR points as a roomette...score!!

11) Metra's two remaining F40Cs were beside the main at Western Ave. (only get get one in the pic)

12) Wisconsin sunset

Date: 01/25/18 20:09

Sorry about the sideways pics...still haven't figured out how to fix that when posting directly from the iPhone.

Good night from St. Paul!

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/18 20:32 by DavidP.

Date: 01/25/18 20:56
Author: andersonb109

What more could you want? How about an actual diner and decent lounge car for starters.

Date: 01/25/18 22:08
Author: railcity

Did you use the Shower in Chicago, how many Shower are there?? Private Room there.

Date: 01/25/18 23:21
Author: mp51w

Have they gone back to no head rest covers in the coaches?
You captured the Wisconsin Winter farm scene perfectly!

Date: 01/26/18 04:39
Author: bmarti7

Classic farm country shot! That’s why I say there’s always a view outside! Thanks for sharing and you’re on the money this morning.

BB

Date: 01/26/18 05:59
Author: RevRandy

As to loads, you were leaving Worcester mid-week, which except for times of college calendar quirks, is a very slow time on 449. And that snag of a bedroom for about the same as a roometteon the Builder, chalk that up to the lower passenger counts.

The best part of your story, aside from appreciating the photos, is how much you are enjoying it all!! And I love you attitude of not sweating the small stuff -- makes all of life much more enjoyable.

Onward!

Date: 01/26/18 15:43

railcity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you use the Shower in Chicago, how many Shower
> are there?? Private Room there.

Yes. There are two shower rooms off the men's room. The front desk attendant gives you a passcard and towels.

Date: 01/27/18 18:36
Author: ProAmtrak

They shouldn't of taken the regular showers out for coach passengers though!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0679 seconds