Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Passenger Trains > 822 on #8 in the snow

Date: 02/10/18 17:05
822 on #8 in the snow
Author: inCHI

On my way home a late #8 was about to cross my path. I didn't quite get to where I wanted to be in the 6-10 inches of snow that is coating Chicago right now, and was surprised by 822 leading the train. (I don't like that lens glare but can't easily fix it.)

This is just north of Morton Grove station, which is also an interlocking. Just minutes after #8, 337 to Milwaukee came north, with the signals still showing an approach from #8's passage. I wish I better guessed this meet, which probably was where I had just been minutes before. Both these trains were going track speed!

Date: 02/10/18 18:45
Re: 822 on #8 in the snow
Author: P

Great shots.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/10/18 19:11
Author: IC_2024

Love these pics— winter wonderland! And... great seeing a Charger in the snow — something we don’t see here in CA😉!

Date: 02/10/18 19:18
Author: inCHI

IC_2024 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Love these pics— winter wonderland! And...
> great seeing a Charger in the snow — something
> we don’t see here in CA😉!

The headlights are so bright on them! They are slowly spreading to all of the midwest trains. They are regular on the Hiawathas, Illini/Salukis, the Carl Sandburg, and now I'm seeing them on the Pere Marquette. I'm not sure if they are on the Saint Louis trains or the Wolverine yet. Presumably some P42's are getting freed up.

Date: 02/10/18 20:58
Author: badgerexpat

Majestic.

And the kind of weather when you're happy to be on a train, rather than fluthering around on rubber tires. Or in galoshes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/18 20:59 by badgerexpat.

Date: 02/10/18 22:39
Author: robj

Very nicely done at track speed in that light, I caught it(8) near Union Station and almost skunked by 3-4 seconds by Metra at about 5:40.
I really like mine tho no snow kicking up. Also, 822 by surprise. There was a young man setup near signals for Metra's and 8 at the signals.
Not sure what he did with 8, looked like going away Got in late enough did not go though them yet on computer.

Bob Jordan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/18 22:51 by robj.

Date: 02/11/18 07:22
Author: PHall

inCHI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IC_2024 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Love these pics— winter wonderland! And...
> > great seeing a Charger in the snow —
> something
> > we don’t see here in CA😉!
>
> The headlights are so bright on them! They are
> slowly spreading to all of the midwest trains.
> They are regular on the Hiawathas, Illini/Salukis,
> the Carl Sandburg, and now I'm seeing them on the
> Pere Marquette. I'm not sure if they are on the
> Saint Louis trains or the Wolverine yet.
> Presumably some P42's are getting freed up.

LED headlights. They are very bright and are being retrofitted to older power too because they last much longer then sealed beam incandescent lights.

Date: 02/11/18 08:00
Author: sethamtrak

Very nice photos. Makes me feel right back in Chicago in my home territory of Morton Grove and Glenview!

Seth-

Date: 02/11/18 11:01
Author: MartyBernard

A filter on your lens can be the cause of the lens flair.

Marty

Date: 02/11/18 17:01
Author: ProAmtrak

Beautiful shots man!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.064 seconds