Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Passenger Trains > Look Ma! No Snow!

Date: 02/11/18 07:00
Look Ma! No Snow!
Author: ironmtn

One year ago on this date, Saturday Feb. 11, 2017, a South Shore Line commuter train glides down 11th Street in Michigan City, Indiana, with nary a trace of snow in sight. Still maintaining the classic street running through this small city on the southeastern shore of Lake Michigan, the "last interurban" retains its truly unique and colorful, yet efficient and well patronized place in our railroad history.

We would find a different scene today. Michigan City has had about 50 inches of snow for the season, and another few inches of wintry mix and snow is forecast for this day. Indeed, that storm kept me at home from a railfanning day trip to the South Shore Line today, a hoped-for respite from cabin fever with a "then and now" pair of images. It has been a cold and snowy winter on Lake Michigan's eastern shore, with about 72 inches thus far at my home, and with plenty more to come (thanks to that stupid groundhog). Oh well, let's enjoy a few images of a unique slice of railroading. I'll fire up the snowblower...again...later.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Date: 02/11/18 10:22
Re: Look Ma! No Snow!
Author: PennPlat

And they don't run on diesel.

Date: 02/11/18 10:51
Author: BCutter

Well, I would much rather have snow than the ice we have in mid-MO today!

Bruce
BoCoMo

Date: 02/11/18 11:48
Author: ironmtn

BCutter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I would much rather have snow than the ice
> we have in mid-MO today!
>
> Bruce
> BoCoMo

Bruce,

I will never trade snow for ice. Been there, done that in Columbia, as you know. And elsewhere in the state. Hate it.

Still, I will broker the foot of snow I have my front lawn. All yours, FOB Muskegon, Mich. if you want it. Light and fluffy lake effect snow, shovels and snowblows easily. Pretty, too (after a fashion).

Hope you are well, despite the ice.

Mark
MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Date: 02/11/18 18:57
Author: BCutter

Nice try Marc but oh fudgie-poo NO! Supposed to be in the low 60s by mid-week!

Stay warm and safe!

Bruce

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds