Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Passenger Trains > Lake Shore Limited, Little Falls, NY

Date: 02/18/18 13:13
Lake Shore Limited, Little Falls, NY
Author: ut-1

I trekked down to Little Falls (NY) this afternoon to catch the EB Lake Shore passing by CSX CP 215.

Here's the video.

Had to walk in 3/4 mile on River Road; the part I hiked in on is not maintained in the winter.

The first two pics show that New York Central's footprint remains on this line to the present. This bridge is 1/2 mile in.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/18/18 13:19
Re: Lake Shore Limited, Little Falls, NY
Author: ut-1

Photo 3. A meet at CP 215, 12:12 pm.

Photo 4. WB freight with UP run-through power, 12:23 pm

Photo 5. Amtrak No. 284 12:40 pm.

Date: 02/18/18 14:08
Author: BigSkyBlue

Now that bridge is awesome! And still ready for 4 tracks NYC style. Great find. BSB

Date: 02/18/18 16:41
Author: train1275

When I was with the Adirondack Scenic we used this bridge as part of the documentation for historic NYC RR painting research for the planned new Thendara, NY Route 28 Bridge.

Date: 02/18/18 18:49
Author: mbutte

Great video and pictures!

These scenes are all from just east of the site of the infamous Gulf Curve, where on April 19, 1940, the NYC's westbound Lake Shore Limited derailed killing 31. The cause; excessive speed; ~70mph going into the 7+ degree curve which had a restriction of 45mph!

This accident lead to the Central building a new alignment with a gentle 1+ degree curve. The realignment was completed in November 1947, after only 14 months of construction, which included moving the adjacent Mohawk River. My father, then a young Mohawk Division civil engineer, had the privilege of working on the project!

And I will be riding Amtrak #284 through Little Falls on Monday!

Date: 02/18/18 20:57
Author: RevRandy

UT-1 ... another great video. Love seeing the abandoned stone crushing plant in a season without leaves obscuring it. That plant has been abandoned as long as I have ridden past it (and that means since the late 1940s). Great catch at a great location. And the good NYC bridges in that area are wonderful reminders of how long paint can last! I believe one of my childhood homes was painted by the same NYC painter in Utica on his time off on evenings and weekends.

MButte ... my father also worked on that project in Little Falls. Much of the old alignment is still there east of the abandoned tight curve, and is a decent place to prospect for Herkimer/Little Falls diamonds (Quartz crystals) in the exposed cliff rock.

Date: 02/18/18 22:51
Author: gaspeamtrak

Excellent ! Thanks for sharing!!! :):):)

Date: 02/19/18 07:09
Author: UP951West

Great work. Thanks for sharing it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.052 seconds