Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Passenger Trains > First Train Watching Activity?? Views from the window

Date: 04/14/18 03:58
First Train Watching Activity?? Views from the window
Author: robj

1)
Before there were foamers, railfans, people would go down to the station to talk and watch train activity.

Riding the WB Southwest Chief on March 4, 2018 my seat on the observation car conveniently ended up at the
La Plata Missouri station door where I found this small group gathered. I grabbed a few photos which
they seemed to get a kick out of. The big guy with the overalls could be from another era but then there are the
New Balance shoes.

To fill out the post:
2) Station stop at Ft. Madison. That is my coach seat next to the air hose, last coach, last seat.

3)Seem like good activity at Las Vegas, workers were on the roof( Installing gutters?). La Castaneda Hotel
Bob Jordan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/18 04:01 by robj.

Date: 04/14/18 06:25
Re: First Train Watching Activity?? Views from the window
Author: WW

The La Castaneda Hotel in Las Vegas, New Mexico is being remodeled/restored by the same folks that own the La Posada in Winslow, Arizona. I believe that they also own the Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas, New Mexico. If the La Castaneda Hotel is operated like the Plaza and La Posada, it will be a great hotel once again. When it's done, I hope there will still be a Southwest Chief running.

Date: 04/14/18 18:39
Re: First Train Watching Activity?? Views from the window
Author: ironmtn

The first two images, especially the first, are real winners. It's really a neat thing to see a group gathered like that at the depot these days. Used to go to La Plata a lot during my days in Columbia, Missouri. Always a nice visit, friendly folks, great train watching. Thanks for a happy memory and an evocative image.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds