Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Passenger Trains > Is AT considered a LD train?

Date: 04/23/18 16:45
Is AT considered a LD train?
Author: SANSR

If so, anyone want to speculate on the potential future of this unique Amtrak option?
Thanks in advance.

Date: 04/23/18 17:03
Re: Is AT considered a LD train?
Author: johnpage

It is, by Amtrak's definition, a long distance train. It takes in about $73 million a year in revenue and hauls 238,400 passengers a year, plus their vehicles. It's load factor is 59%, which is a little on the low side considering it operates only terminal to terminal. At any given time, there are 331 passengers onboard.

Auto Train creates 14% of the gross revenue of the long distance system.

Since just about everything about the Auto Train is self-contained, the answer to your question may be one of two things: Leave it alone and let it continue as is, or, privatize it.

Date: 04/24/18 13:15
Author: hazegray

johnpage Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Since just about everything about the Auto Train is self-contained, the answer to your question may
> be one of two things: Leave it alone and let it continue as is, or, privatize it.

Auto-Train initially started as a private(ized) operation, and went bankrupt!

Date: 04/24/18 14:09
Author: Lackawanna484

I've often thought AutoTrain should be a candidate for dynamic pricing. Offer lower priced buckets in off peak directions, for example.

I've been on a northbound, full length train in November with just one diner seating. And two coaches closed off. Why not offer a econo price to draw some traffic off I-95?

You know one night at a. Hampton Inn plus 800 miles of gas will be $350, price the car plus sleeper ride at $300, all in.

Buy a billboard to trumpet the deal.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0283 seconds