Home Open Account Help 179 users online

Passenger Trains > NJT Geep Action on the Raritan Valley Line

Date: 05/09/18 10:11
NJT Geep Action on the Raritan Valley Line
Author: PennRailVideos

NJ Transit is still running "heavy cab cars" while the PTC work continues. This provides many eastbound shots with a locomotive rather than a cab-car to those willing to get up early enough. All shots on May 9th, 2018.

1. NJ Rail 5416 eastbound just west of Bound Brook station with ex-CNJ 3671 leading the way.

2. NJ Rail 5714 at Bound Brook this morning just east of Bridgewater, with NJT 4217, built as Penn Central 3218. This train also features 7 MARC cars being leased to NJ Transit.

3. NJ Rail 5902 with NJT 4106 leading once again pulling into Cranford. This train runs as 5416 in the morning, then deadheads west to Plainfield to turn as 5902.

Who knows how long this will last, so get your shots before it's too late.
- Adam C.

Date: 05/09/18 10:27
Re: NJT Geep Action on the Raritan Valley Line
Author: joemvcnj

50% of the MARC cars the LIRR is to get (17 or 21 of them) are supposed to be cab cars, due to LIRR policies that 50% of the fleet have bathroom.

All the MARC cars that go to Amtrak have to be cab cars.

There may be disproportionately too few cab cars in NJT's allotment.

Date: 05/09/18 10:29
Author: erielackawanna

Great selection! Thanks, Adam.

Date: 05/09/18 10:54

Those are the 2 train sets on the Raritan Line that are low level. The other 8 sets are of multi-level cars.
One low level set or the other (I forgot which) become the 4:44pm Newark to High Bridge. Then later in the evening, it deadheads back to Raritan yard.

The EMD's do accelerate much faster than the Alstom engines, and give the Alstoms quite a shove when on the opposite end of the train, and make about 5 minutes better time for the trip, like an anxious dog pulling an old lady.

Date: 05/09/18 11:04
Author: Lackawanna484

NJT has a number of old 5xxx cab cars mixed in as regular coaches, usually up against the locomotives. They can be quickly identified by the horns on top and the red and silver reflective striping under the front windows.

I don't think I've seen one used as a cab car since the 6xxx cab cars showed up.

Date: 05/09/18 11:08

I have not seen a Comet IV cab car used as such in many years. I wonder if they are still certified to for that use ?
Funny how when there is an extra cab car in the consist, it is positioned next to the locomotive. Perhaps there must be one center-doored car in each consist for ADA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/18 12:12 by joemvcnj.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds