Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Passenger Trains > MTA Crenshaw Line - construction pics June 2018

Date: 06/16/18 19:41
MTA Crenshaw Line - construction pics June 2018
Author: casco17

Last night at the joint Pacific Railroad Society/Electric Railway Historical Association of Southern California meeting, it was mentioned that the MTA contractors are making progress on this line. Here are some pics from this afternoon, from the "visible" segment of the line, generally from south to north.

1. The former BNSF/ATSF track at 124th Street. This segment is not part of the Crenshaw line, but it is used for construction staging. Note the trackside freight car readers are still in place, even though through freights stopped after 2002.

2. New track facing north from 104th Street.

3. Facing south at Arbor vitae; this will now be a three track crossing.

continued.

Date: 06/16/18 19:47
Re: MTA Crenshaw Line - construction pics June 2018

4. Facing north at Arbor Vitae.
5. Crossing signal footing at Arbor Vitae. It is amazing how deep this is. In the background is the future shop.

6. Facing southwest from Florence and Oak.

continued

Date: 06/16/18 19:55

7. Facing southwest from Brynhurst. In the distance is West Blvd. Behind the camera is a construction yard, where the future line will curve north and tunnel under Crenshaw.

8. Future West Blvd. station, facing NE.

9. Former ATSF/BNSF facing NE at 4th Ave. This is not part of the light rail conversion. This former line deteriorates a little more each year; evidently the crossing signals weren't worth recycling to other crossings. most have been vandalized.

Thanks for viewing.

Date: 06/16/18 21:48
Author: SP4360

Nice series of pics. We used to bury 5ft tall steel pyramid foundations with a 4ft square bottom for crossing and wayside signals so this thing looks like it just about as tall but not nearly as wide.

Date: 06/16/18 22:35
Author: webmaster

The Southern California Live Steamers club in Torrance was given several tons of these signals from around Inglewood about 5 years ago. After deciding they had too many they offered them for sale a few months ago for next to free. I made the mistake of purchasing ($200 for both) two Western Railway Supply Model 10 signal mechanisms, with lights and gates. I never imagined a signal could weigh so much. After screwing up my back I decided to get rid of them. I ended up keeping the poles and lights, and gave away the mechanisms. The poor sucker who took them off my hands had no idea what he was getting himself into.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 06/17/18 16:32
Author: ProAmtrak

Looking good and That's a bummer Todd, I got my dad and Baby Brother who have back issues, hang in there!

Posted from Android

Date: 06/18/18 07:10
Author: Jishnu

The connection between the Crenshaw Line and the Green Line was put in near the Aviation Grren Line station last month.

In operation at the South end the Crenshaw trains will proceed along the Green Line ROW from this junction and terminate at El Segundo for now.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds