Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/21/18 00:12
Amtrak cutting off a coach from SW Chief #3 at KCY
Author: GenePoon

Beginning today, July 21...

Date: 07/21/18 03:16
Re: Amtrak cutting off a coach from SW Chief #3 at KCY
Author: joemvcnj

It had been running with 4 coaches, though the BSA groups had to cancel.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/21/18 03:21
Author: andersonb109

Any bets on how long it will take to do this operation? 

Date: 07/21/18 04:13
Author: sums007

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any bets on how long it will take to do this
> operation? 
30 minutes minumum is mine.

Date: 07/21/18 06:32
Author: mundo

Meanwhile, the passengers wanting to transfer to train 314 set outside the station and watch 314 depart to St Louis.

Thats OK, they can wait until 8 hrs for the next train to St Louis.
Sorry, I forgot no one transfers on Amtrak !!.

Date: 07/21/18 07:41
Author: mt-king

Hope they don't file  the delay in the private car column

Date: 07/21/18 08:01

Can someone advise us of the layout of KCY, where is track 30 ?

What is necessary for train 4 to acces this track. ?

My limited knowledge on Kansas City tracks has be confused.

Date: 07/21/18 08:16
Author: Sneebly

Amtrak normally uses Tracks 29 and 30 at KCUS.  Both are run through tracks.  Track 29 is usually used by the Missouri River Runners including the one that lays over overnight.  Track 30 is generally used by the Southwest Chief only.  There are also 2 stub ended tracks  that actually go into the station proper, Those are tracks 27 &  28.  Those are where PVs are usually located.  These two tracks connect to track 29 at the west end by a hand throw turnout.  So what will happen is when #3 gets into The station, the rear coach will be cut off.  When #4 arrives the following morning it will go East past the station then back up to the setout car from the previous day.  Some might say this could take more time, but it might be quicker than just pulling the train #4 straight in.  This all depends if the dispatcher allows #4 to use the Argentine Connection flyover.  This flyover cannot be used by #3 as there is no way to get to those tracks from the West end of KCUS, but is possible at the East end. Abd the Argentine flyover has a 30 mph limit the old line around Santa Fe jct has a 15 mph curve.

Sneebly

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/18 09:24 by Sneebly.

Date: 07/21/18 08:56
Author: Flyer92122

They needed to add a coach KCY to CHI, not reduce one KCY to LAX. The train is often standing room only KCY to CHI. Last trip of mine (June) coach passengers were sat in the unused side of diner as SSL was even maxed out. Way to really depress ridership numbers  Anderson. Can we get a redo of the last two years (or at least learn from them please)?

Date: 07/21/18 09:25
Author: PHall

You know, you guys are giving Mr Anderson way more credit then he probably deserves.
He's the President guys, he doesn't deal with day to day stuff.

Date: 07/21/18 09:51
Author: Flyer92122

PHall Wrote:
> You know, you guys are giving Mr Anderson way more
> credit then he probably deserves.
> He's the President guys, he doesn't deal with day
> to day stuff.

Respectfully I don’t agree. But let’s just say he’s not involved in most of the recent questionable decisions. That would make him even a worse CEO, not having a finger anywhere near the pulse of the company or it’s customers. This is deliberate.
Anderson has made it clear from his many statements, his willing to skew facts to make the LDTs look worse then they are. There’s  solutions with the SWC, at least from our view in the peanut seats he doesn’t seem open to a solution or compromise.

Date: 07/21/18 10:01
Author: ATSF1129

So, this means a fifth coach will run KCY-CHI for summer?

Date: 07/21/18 14:54
Author: SDGreg

Given the greater demand for coach ridership between Kansas City and Chicago, this should have been done a long time ago if it can be done without taking too much time. 

Is there any HEP connection for the set out coach at the station, or will it be added hot or cold (depending on the season) for the morning departure to Chicago?

As for a morning connection to St. Louis, I don't think that's been a guaranteed connection for a decade or longer due to the short scheduled connection time.  If 4 was on time or early, there was at least a possiblity of making that connection if one didn't have to retrieve checked baggage first.  

Date: 07/21/18 15:42
Author: jp1822

El_Duderino Wrote:
> So, this means a fifth coach will run KCY-CHI for
> summer?

This is an interesting questoin to answer. If it is just four coaches and the FOURTH coach is cut-in/cut-out at KCY, then the Southwest Chief is losing capacity for its entire route, which could make the "numbers" more appetizing for a "cut." If it WAS four coaches through Flagstaff and now becomes three coaches through Flagstaff (fourth dropped/picked up in KCY), then the supply has been reduced on the train.......

Date: 07/21/18 15:49
Author: wa4umr

Here's a map that I had of the station.  As I understand, the two black tracks on the south are the stub tracks where they store the PVs.  The next two black tracks are the ones Amtrak uses if I remember correctly.  The orange tracks are freight as far as I know and I don't know what the blue numbers are.  I've been there 4 times, twice just passing through, and one time arriving and then departing the next day.  

I'm posting this to maybe explain what is happening.  Feel free to comment on it.

John

Date: 07/21/18 16:12
Author: ProAmtrak

So what isbot, isbot a 5TH coach or Propeller Head's reputation gonna go deeper into the 10TH Level of Hell!

Posted from Android

Date: 07/21/18 16:20
Author: wigwag

ProAmtrak Wrote:
> So what isbot, isbot a 5TH coach or Propeller
> Head's reputation gonna go deeper into the 10TH
> Level of Hell!
>
> Posted from Android

What??

Date: 07/21/18 16:22

Thanks folks for your explanations of the trackage at KCY.

Now, a good question on HEP at the station for the set out car overnight.
Maybe they can string cable from the overnight Mule that is on track 29.

Otherwise frozen cars this winter...if the set out lasts that long.

Date: 07/21/18 16:47
Author: BuddPullman

Very good news!

As there used to be two Amtrak trains from Kansas City to Chicago (and vice versa, i.e. "Southwest Limited" and "Lone Star") to meet the travel demand, it is no big surprise an extra coach is required today in 2018.  It is noteworthy there is no direct Interstate Highway between Kansas City and Chicago, without going round about thru St Louis or Des Moines. 

Date: 07/21/18 16:56
Author: Sneebly

ProAmtrak Wrote:
> So what isbot, isbot a 5TH coach

I talked with a friend of mine who is a conductor on #3 & #4, and he said that this summer when the trains have 4 coaches LAX and KCY that often the 4th coach is empty between ABQ and KCY.  Now if the Boy Scouts...

Sneebly

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0827 seconds