Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Passenger Trains > Viewliner II Diners - Presuming Box Meals - Allocation?

Date: 08/08/18 20:22
Viewliner II Diners - Presuming Box Meals - Allocation?
Author: jp1822

So if Box Meals become the future of the "meal service" for single level long distance trains what's the allocation of VIewliner II Diners:

4 - Silver Meteor 
4 - Silver Star
4 - Crescent
3 - Lake Shore Limited
2 - Cardinal (perhaps leave the lounge and a single LSA but move the other LSA to the Diner?)

** I could see the Silver Star re-gaining the diner back as long as the dining car staff is eliminated and it's a box meal program. If not allocate these four diners to the long distance day trains like below - Maple Leaf and Carolinian?

17 - Diners

For some wishful thinking - would the following day time trains benefit from either a regular Viewliner II Diner in tow just for "lounge" accommodation and possible "selling" of the box meals from the regular Amfleet Cafe:

2 - Vermonter - parlor fee charged to occupy (yet included in price of business class with a bump up of business class price), operates at head-end of train...
2 - Pennsylvanian - parlor fee charged to occupy (same as above for business class price), operates at head-end of train....
2 - Adirondack - parlor fee charged to occupy, operates at rear of train.... 

6 - Diners

23 - Diner Allocation

2 - Regular in reserve (
1 - Indianopolis in reserve

3 - Diner Reserve (one in NYP, the others sit in Hialeah which is pretty normal - no extras are kept in Chicago, New Orleans, or DC for example)

26 Viewliner II Diners (and Indianapolis)

To have 3 diners in reserve, not sure if that would be the end of the world, as they can be pulled from the Vermonter (based out of Washington DC), Adirondack and Pennsylvanian (based out of New York Penn) if needed. It's not like the ovens and equipment is being used, this kitchen is just a space to "layout" distribution of food and beverages. Just got to make sure the HVAC system works. These are also new cars that should not be requiring a lot of maintenance and renewal......yet.   

The VIewliner II Diners are GREAT viewing cars and is the best single level equivalent of the Sightseer Lounge Car. Why not put them on the scenic routes for the leaf peeping season. Would likely attract ridership. And you could do a pre-order box meal at time of reservation for the day trains, as the all three used to have "local box lunches" in the past. Vermonter Box Lunch was GREAT, as was the Adirondack Box lunch too. Remember they were loaded in Burlington, VT heading south.   

Date: 08/08/18 20:54
Re: Viewliner II Diners - Presuming Box Meals - Allocation?
Author: jcaestecker

Great ideas!  However, you are far too bright for ANY govt agency, much less ATK.

-John

Date: 08/09/18 06:08
Author: Jishnu

Good ideas regarding the mid-distance trains. However, all of those are state funded trains so the states will have to agree to pony up for that added service and equipment, which they may not, since they have to all struggle to fund what they run now, unfortunately. Such is the sorry state of the country.

Date: 08/09/18 06:17
Author: ronald321

Please remember these box lunches are for sleeping car passengers ONLY.  Coach passengers have totally lost dining car service also..

This kills two birds with one stone: 
1. cheapens the hell out of  food offerings for high paying sleeper passengers
2. forces coach passengers--maybe 250 on board--to get Amcafe snacks from a single attendant (impossibly difficult)..

I call this a beautiful strategy for preparing these trains for discontinuance.

Date: 08/09/18 14:35
Author: JohnM

Ronald, how many trains are you canceling?

Date: 08/09/18 14:37
Author: sums007

ronald321 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please remember these box lunches are for sleeping
> car passengers ONLY.  Coach passengers have
> totally lost dining car service also..
>
> This kills two birds with one stone: 
> 1. cheapens the hell out of  food offerings for
> high paying sleeper passengers
> 2. forces coach passengers--maybe 250 on board--to
> get Amcafe snacks from a single attendant
> (impossibly difficult)..
>
> I call this a beautiful strategy for preparing
> these trains for discontinuance.
>
>  
You're preaching to the choir here.  If you haven't already, complain to your elected congress people.

Date: 08/09/18 17:28
Author: ronald321

sums007

You are absolutely right.

I have written my Senator/Representative several times.

Just waiting for Anderson's next service downgrade before I wright again.

To be honest however, I 'm not sure if writing to them dose any good--but what else can we do.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/18 17:30 by ronald321.

Date: 08/10/18 10:18

Jishnu Wrote:
> Good ideas regarding the mid-distance trains.
> However, all of those are state funded trains so
> the states will have to agree to pony up for that
> added service and equipment, which they may not,
> since they have to all struggle to fund what they
> run now, unfortunately. Such is the sorry state of
> the country.

Interestingly though, the Vermonter, Adirondack and even Pennsylvanian had a more robust (if not direct) "Box Meal" special program before. Does Amtrak charge the state corridors more to run the Great Dome? Ironically it has run in Maine, NY, etc. Buy the box meal from the Amfleet Cafe, the diner only tags along. The conductor is in charge of monitoring the car (just like the Great Dome) for access etc. Course they'd have to monitor and "police" a bit if a "parlor fee" of sorts is added on. But for these long distance "day trains" can't see that being the end of the world. So all sales out of Amtrak Amfleet Cafe/Lounge car, diner is provided just like the Great Dome so as to not create any additional "labor cost." If Amtrak decides to get greedy and want money for putting the car in service on the route - that's there loss, as the car would bring some incremental revenue to offset (parlor fee etc.). 

The box lunch/meals were handled out of the cafe car before on these trains, I am sure they could do it again, and even make a profit per meal - even if $1. 

I admit, radical for the current Amtrak regime to consider, but not that far-fetched if it were a private organization. I'd be getting these cars out whereever possible as they have the ability and opportunity to expand revenue and bring about greater customer satisfaction while aboard the train. 

Date: 08/10/18 10:44
Author: Lackawanna484

How does the snacks / sandwiches supply chain on Downeaster work?  My recollection is the attendant brings sandwiches and water, soda etc when reporting for the job.  Maybe a stop at Costco, etc on the way to work.

Date: 08/10/18 12:02
Author: sums007

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> How does the snacks / sandwiches supply chain on
> Downeaster work?  My recollection is the
> attendant brings sandwiches and water, soda etc
> when reporting for the job.  Maybe a stop at
> Costco, etc on the way to work.

Used to be stocked and run by a company called Epicurean Delight.  I don't know who does it now.
>  

Date: 08/10/18 15:10

Box lunches for the Vermonter used to be loaded on at the station in Essex Junction, VT each morning heading southbound. "The Vermonter Box Lunch" was marketed then all the way to New Haven. Usually sold out by Springfield! Not sure how it was handled on the Adirondack or northbound Vermonter. There was then Keystone Club Car added on Amtrak's Pennsylvanian for food and lounge service at one time. I have a book on how it operated somewhere around here, but it only last a year or so. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0645 seconds