Home Open Account Help 218 users online

Passenger Trains > Tram between downtown Albany NY and Amtrak in Renssalaer

Date: 08/16/18 04:57
Tram between downtown Albany NY and Amtrak in Renssalaer
Author: swirsk53

news reports of progress re proposal for tram system across the Hudson to connect Amtrak in Renssalaer with downtown Albany 
https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Rensselaer-begins-review-of-gondola-service-13156470.php 

Date: 08/16/18 05:37
Re: Tram between downtown Albany NY and Amtrak in Renssalaer
Author: 4489

Nice that, as the story mentions, there will be places at the ends of the runs so that one can get on and or get off!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/18 15:36 by 4489.

Date: 08/16/18 05:57
Author: joemvcnj

I don't know if I'd like being on such a tram over water, even to Roosevelt Island. 

Date: 08/16/18 08:05
Author: RevRandy

Look forward for this new transportation option -- it is both a good piece of transit AND a tourist opportunity. It would run much more frequently than the current bus, probably be smoother, and with better views.  

Date: 08/16/18 08:30
Author: Jishnu

Hope this comes to fruition. I would be looking forward to ride it. It will certainly be a much desired addition.

Date: 08/16/18 09:33
Author: swirsk53

Roosevelt Island tram is a great ride - great views 
On the Roosevelt Island end one of the former entrance structures from the Queensboro/59th Street Bridge trolley line is used as an information structure and gift shop. 

Date: 08/16/18 10:27
Author: march_hare

Sure, sure, build the damn thing a year after I retire.

I have to admit I like the idea, though.  The morning trains to NYC are basically unit trains full of bureaucrats, myself included.  But of course, a lot of the bureaucracy is not in downtown anymore.

Date: 08/16/18 16:49
Author: keelhauled

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know if I'd like being on such a tram over
> water, even to Roosevelt Island. 
Given the respective safety records, you would have a greater chance of dying on the train than the gondola.

Date: 08/16/18 16:55
Author: joemvcnj

It's like a chair lift. I just don't like the sensation with the heights. 

Date: 08/16/18 17:54
Author: march_hare

I’d rather drop from a gondola into the Hudson than onto dry land, or a steeply sloped ski run. But I’d still prefer a zip line, or a water slide. 

Date: 08/16/18 20:32
Author: symph1

One slight correction. There's a difference between an aerial tram and a gondola. In a tram system there are only two cars, and they can be quite large.The new Jackson Hole tram holds close to 100. (The photo is from their web site) If one car is at the top, the other is at the bottom. They stop, people get off and on, and they start moving at exactly the same time on their respective cables, They pass in the middle, reach the tram docks at the top and bottom, and stop. People get off and on...repeat all day.

A gondola system has many cars. They hold betwen 6 and 10, usually. They are always moving, even when you get on and off. They loop around a huge wheel at the top and bottom.

Date: 08/16/18 21:10
Author: Lairport

Couldn't Elon bore under the Hudson for fee?

Date: 08/17/18 10:46
Author: Jishnu

Lairport Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Couldn't Elon bore under the Hudson for fee?

I guess we'll have to wait until he stops weeping about the unfairness of life etc.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0362 seconds