Home Open Account Help 173 users online

Passenger Trains > 449 Starting Late Today

Date: 08/18/18 12:08
449 Starting Late Today
Author: mp16

Currently South Station Status Board indicates the train is boarding as of 3:00 pm. Normal scheduled departure is 1:25 pm. Train 448 arrived Boston this morning at 5:53 am instead of scheduled 8:01 pm Friday. Unfortunately the train hit a trespasser in Pittsfield and he was killed. Very sad indeed.
 Equipment turnaround, cleaning must have been delayed in Boston thus preventing the train from leaving OT today.

Date: 08/18/18 12:42
Re: 449 Starting Late Today
Author: andersonb109

So it takes more than 7 hours to turn a train? I've experienced VIA turning the Canadian in less time than that for a much longer train. And the train is spotless when boarding...something that certainly can't be said for Amtrak. (last trip on the LSL the toilests were filthy when we boarded in Albany so they must have been that way upon departure). Hopefully Amtrak used the extra time to provide a clean train. 

Date: 08/18/18 12:59
Author: goduckies

Amtrak dirty no way. I h as d gotten used to it, it didn't bug me, but I took my sister who is used to European trains and flying a lot on the Zephyr out of oakland to Reno and she was disgusted. No excuse for such dirty equipment. And isn't it the attendants job to keep it clean in route? Well some have definitely failed.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/18 13:00 by goduckies.

Date: 08/18/18 13:24

Confusion reigns. One source noted an estimated departure time of 2:30 pm but the Station Status Board in Boston as of 4:20 pm has the note that the train is "boarding." Occasionally the Worcester status Board indicates "on time". Boston as of a little while ago had the word "overdue" to indicate 449's status.  Pity the poor passengers !

Date: 08/18/18 13:40
Author: ts1457

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So it takes more than 7 hours to turn a train?

Crew's rest?

Date: 08/18/18 13:48
Author: co614

The last 4 LDT trips I've taken the outside of those trains were filthy not just dirty but filthy. On 2 of those trips my sleeper accomodations ( one a roomette, the other a bedroom) were not much better.

Sad but true. Ross rowland

Date: 08/18/18 13:48

As of 4:45 pm train has not departed despite an update indicating it would leave at 4:15 pm. Status board in South Station says "overdue."
ETA Chicago only 20 minutes late tomorrow. Is a miracle possible ?

448 today has departed Albany 28 mins. late at 3:33 pm. ETA Boston 22 mins. late at 8:23 pm.

Date: 08/18/18 13:56

Train finally left at 4:48 pm instead of scheduled 1:25 pm. New ETA Chicago is 27 minutes late. S cheduled arrival time is 9:45 am.
Too bad  full diner service is not available. Box lunches not appealing to people who waited so long for the train to leave.

I wonder if anyone at Amtrak HQ is aware of the problem or has even dealt with this train's problems.

Date: 08/18/18 16:01
Author: jp1822

I know there is no "connecting train" at Albany that will be "added or joined up" to this consist, but there are "connecting passengers" where by many will likely be searching for dinner there at the station! The boxed meals go right to waste more than likely. They can't really offer them to coach passengers cause they are earmarked for those in sleeper class boarding "down the line." Genuis! 

I believe there's just one crew that covers the LSL from Albany to Boston. I could be wrong. Crew rest was likely the main issue in trying to get the LSL out of Boston on-time today. THere are a couple of crews that do this turn though.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Date: 08/19/18 11:43
Author: reindeerflame

It's pretty clear that the long distance trains are being phased out, using Southern Pacific tactics.

Ride now, while you still can,

Date: 08/19/18 17:31
Author: ProAmtrak

reindeerflame Wrote:
> It's pretty clear that the long distance trains
> are being phased out, using Southern Pacific
> tactics.
>
> Ride now, while you still can,

OK, if you say so!

Date: 08/19/18 17:40
Author: toledopatch

mp16 Wrote:
> As of 4:45 pm train has not departed despite an
> update indicating it would leave at 4:15 pm.
> Status board in South Station says "overdue."
> ETA Chicago only 20 minutes late tomorrow. Is a
> miracle possible ?

The downstream forecasts for late trains' arrival times on the Amtrak web site have been works of fiction pretty much since they went on-line. They want to discourage passengers from showing up -too- late for late trains, but the result is predictions that strain credibility.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0525 seconds