Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Passenger Trains > Ancestory help with these HWY cars

Date: 10/15/18 08:47
Ancestory help with these HWY cars
Author: seod

I was in Chehalis after the swap meet Saturday and I saw these 2 heavy weight cars and 1 lightweight and I cannot find much on the lineage of the Heavy Weights. The only thing I found out is from the Peninsular Railway and Lumberman's museum web site that they are owned by members of the group and need restoration. They eventually have plans to run excursions in the Shelton area with them and the ex Simpson Switchers.

#1 DLJX 354 looks like a buisness car
#2 DLJX 475 you can see where it says Northen Pacific in the letter board between the baggage doors.
#3  I don't need info on this car but I thought I would put the pic up anyway. It was CB&Q 342 Coach PRLM named it “Green Diamond”  it is ex FW&D 403 52 seat coach named Silver Top rebuilt to coach dinette in 1940 the in 1969 to CB&Q 342 snack coach it is a BUdd car built in 1937. It was used at Andies Tukwilla diner for a while.

Thanks for the help
Scott O'Dell

Date: 10/15/18 10:54
Re: Ancestory help with these HWY cars
Author: ctjacks

I think the 2nd one was the SP&S 700's tool car.  You can tell by the vestibule on it, which is unusual for a baggage car of the era.

Date: 10/15/18 11:12
Author: PHall

ctjacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the 2nd one was the SP&S 700's tool car. 
> You can tell by the vestibule on it, which is
> unusual for a baggage car of the era.

Didn't GN have a couple of cars like this that were used as "rider" cars on mail trains?

Date: 10/15/18 12:14
Author: Pacific5th

You sure that CB&Q car didn’t come from Country Village up in Bothell? They removed one from there a few years ago.

Date: 10/15/18 12:24
Author: TCnR

It sure has the indications of being a GN 'rider Storage Mail Car', including the vestibule, the Conductors window and the base for a smokestack. There's some info here, including a photo of a very similar car in a similar paint located in St. Helens, Oregon, which I beleive is just across the Columbia river:

http://www.greatnorthernempire.net/   need to select surviving equipment/ Preserved/ Passenger Cars/ RPO and Mail cars

PHall Wrote:
> ctjacks Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think the 2nd one was the SP&S 700's tool
> car. 
> > You can tell by the vestibule on it, which is
> > unusual for a baggage car of the era.
>
> Didn't GN have a couple of cars like this that
> were used as "rider" cars on mail trains?
>  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/18 12:28 by TCnR.

Date: 10/15/18 12:30
Author: seod

"You sure that CB&Q car didn’t come from Country Village up in Bothell? They removed one from there a few years ago."

No I am not sure I was just repeating what I read someplace else and that could be wrong. I think the ancestory is good but beyond that I don't know for sure. Thanks for the help so far.

Scott O'Dell

Date: 10/15/18 20:03
Author: BuddPullman

Yes, it is Silver Top.

seod Wrote:
> "You sure that CB&Q car didn’t come from Country
> Village up in Bothell? They removed one from there
> a few years ago."
>
> No I am not sure I was just repeating what I read
> someplace else and that could be wrong. I think
> the ancestory is good but beyond that I don't know
> for sure. Thanks for the help so far.
>
> Scott O'Dell

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0476 seconds