Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Passenger Trains > CTA at night at Howard

Date: 11/23/18 16:12
CTA at night at Howard
Author: inCHI

Lost a low aperture lens a few months back which constrained my nighttime shots, finally got a replacement. Today on my commute home I messed around with it at Howard, just south of Evanston where CTA's Red Line ends, Yellow Line begins, and Purple Line passes through. Though it is a holiday weekend it only took a couple minutes for several trains to pass by. 

1. The Purple Line train I left takes the ramp north in the distance as a Skokie Swift arrives
2. A Red Line train begins to pull out of the yard
3. Looking south, the Skokie Swift is in the pocket and has reversed, but awaits space at the platform

Date: 11/23/18 16:13
Re: CTA at night at Howard

4. Because before it can move a Red Line train is ending its run, while another is just headed south
5. And right behind that is another northbound Purple Line train

Date: 11/23/18 17:25
Author: hoggerdoug

Incredible shots !!!!
Doug

Date: 11/23/18 17:44
Author: MEKoch

The yard looks good: well maintained track; clean; orderly.  Hooray CTA !

Date: 11/23/18 17:56
Author: Duna

Great photos.

Date: 11/23/18 21:04

Thanks, glad the shots are of interest. This is my daily commute so I tend to ignore it. I'll make sure to get more when it snows though, it is always neat to witness how much can move through Howard in any weather. They replaced the diamond crossovers in the south view looking at Jarvis in the last year.

Date: 11/24/18 02:25
Author: robj

Well done. Great place to see Cta activity
Bob

Posted from Android

Date: 11/24/18 05:17
Author: ghemr

Very nice photos! What's the story with all the class lights? I see clear, amber, red and green lights---what does all this signify?

Date: 11/24/18 13:41

ghemr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  Very nice photos! What's the story with all the
> class lights? I see clear, amber, red and green
> lights---what does all this signify?

I tried to look it up but didn't find an answer for what they mean on the front of the cars. The doorlights are explained at Chicago-L.org. Now I'm really curious about the front lights because I notice in the photo that they are green on the Yellow Line train, yellow on the Red Line train (front) and blue on the Purple Line train.

My thought of snow shots might be sooner than I realized, suddenly 8-12 inches of snow is in the forecast.

Date: 11/24/18 15:46
Author: DHarrison

They are called marker lights, the indicate which route, like Evanston, Red line, Brown line, etc. For the comlete story, read....http://www.chicago-l.org/operations/signals/markers.html

DH

Date: 11/25/18 09:48

Thanks for the explanation!

Date: 11/26/18 04:45
Author: bobk

Awesome shots!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.056 seconds