Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Passenger Trains > NY Transit Museum shoppers' special

Date: 12/02/18 16:40
NY Transit Museum shoppers' special
Author: chuchubob

The New York Transit Museum is operating its R-1 to R-9 fleet as a shoppers' special for five consecutive Sundays.  Today was the second week of operation.  The R-1s were delivered in 1930 and the R-9s in 1940 with R-4, R-6, and R-7A between.  The train operated from 2nd Ave on the F Line to 125th Street on the D, exclusively in Manhattan.

2nd Ave: R-1 381 on the south end
R-9 1802 on the north end
R-4 401 at 125th Street

Date: 12/02/18 17:10
Re: NY Transit Museum shoppers' special
Author: aronco

I presume the guy leaning on the corner of the subway car was not from one of the high fashion shops in New York.

Norm

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Date: 12/02/18 17:36
Author: Fredo

aronco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I presume the guy leaning on the corner of the
> subway car was not from one of the high fashion
> shops in New York.
>
     He might be a just like us a member of the Train Orders Family                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Date: 12/02/18 18:39
Author: RFandPFan

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

Date: 12/02/18 23:46
Author: pdt

Ahhhh.   U CAN go home again.    

These were the mainstay of the IND fleet when I was a kid. 

So glad there was a heavy contingent of perservationists in the NYCTA years ago, who organized the fan trips in the 1960's/70's, which lead to the preservation of many older cars (R1-9's, R34's, Lo-V's, Q's, Triplex, various A & B div R-12 thru R36, work equipment) which led to the creadtion of the museum, and these holiday trains.  Somehow I think the BMT standard cars got away.  Does anyone know if some R-32s, 38's and slant 40's have been saved?

Date: 12/03/18 19:51
Author: Abqfoamer

Absolutely! There may be a few Standards scattered  across the country, ala Seashore Trolley Museum in Maine. Branford Trolley Museum in East Haven CT has SIRT 388.
The Staten Island Rapid Transit Railway electrified their three routes in 1925, running cars that were close cousins to the Standards, expecting the SIRT and BMT to merge via a Narrows Tunnel, which was never completed, and later, the Verrazano Bridge's lower deck never saw planned subway rails. 
BMT did use modified SI cars for awhile in Brooklyn when SIRT service  cutbacks freed up surplus cars, and the Baltimore and Ohio sold SIRT to NYCTA, in 1971. The city then placed  R44s in service, running to this day. 
Replacement equipment was mentioned in recent city budget news. The original MU cars ran well, as I remember, for 46 years, their replacements have run  the 13 miles from the St. George Ferry to Tottenville for 47 years.

Let's see if the  Forgotten Borough gets new cars soon.

BTW, don't miss the summer fun trains run by the Transit Museum. usually to Coney Island or Rockaway. Great fun, especially when you drift nonstop through a station in the old cars, watching the confused people!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/18 20:24 by Abqfoamer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0762 seconds