Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Passenger Trains > Superliner sleeper question

Date: 12/05/18 16:44
Superliner sleeper question
Author: chess

It's been 10 years since I've ridden in a Superliner sleeper, and since I'm planning a trip to Glacier Park this summer, I need a refresher course. Is there still an area to store suitcases? My wife and I will be in a roomette and there's barely room for 2 small overnight bags. We will be staying at the Izaak Walton Lodge. Should we just take the train to Essex, MT or is it easier to check the bags and get off at East Glacier station? Also, is it easier to rent a car at East Glacier or Essex? It can be done at both...

Date: 12/05/18 16:56
Re: Superliner sleeper question
Author: sums007

Luggage storage is downstairs on the left as you enter the train.  I think the staff at the Izzak Walton Inn meets the train, and they will help with your luggage.

Date: 12/05/18 16:57
Author: stash

Yes, there is storage space near the car doors.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/05/18 17:52
Author: andersonb109

The Inn staff definitely meets the train with a mini van. Don't leave any valuables in your luggage placed downstairs on the luggage rack. Lock your bags so no one else can put anything illegal in them. You will enjoy the Inn. It's fantastic with lots of old RR photos and posters. Bring duct tape to tape doors from rattling and tape over speakers in the room that can't turned off on the more newly refurbished cars. 

Date: 12/05/18 18:12
Author: chess

Oh yes, duct tape is a definite! I travel quite often in the Viewliners all over the East. Just been a while, 10 years or so, for a Superliner. Thanks for the info..

Date: 12/05/18 18:25
Author: GM50

We have enjoyed two visits to the area, in 2009 and 2013. Both times we rented an SUV in East Glacier and stayed two nights at that lodge, then drove to Izaak Walton and stayed two nights there. We then drove back, returned the SUV and reboarded eastbound at E. Glacier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/18 18:35 by GM50.

Date: 12/05/18 18:26
Author: co614

Yes, duct tape and at least 2 small rubber door wedges for the rattles that can't be fixed with folded towels. Have a fun trip.

Ross Rowland

Date: 12/05/18 18:44
Author: Cupolau

I have traveled AMTRAK for the past  25 years and most of those by roomette on the upper level.  I have never had any problems with theft in storing my bags on the lower level. I prefer the upper level for the view because the family bedroom and shower is on the lower level. Also I think it's much noisier on the lower level. As far as storage goes in your room there is a place to hang a suit bag. It's approximately 10" deep by 4' high by 21/2' wide. I have found that a small flashlight and  a pillow, unless you have a very small head, are useful. 

Date: 12/05/18 18:44
Author: Lackawanna484

A bicycle chain and lock can be helpful if you want to secure the bags to each other.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/05/18 19:07
Author: PHall

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, duct tape and at least 2 small rubber door
> wedges for the rattles that can't be fixed with
> folded towels. Have a fun trip.
>
>    Ross Rowland

Guess I've been lucky then because during my last two trips this past year I haven't needed any of that stuff.

Date: 12/05/18 20:13
Author: TTM

Yes, you can rent cars at IZ Walton Inn. Be sure to let them know ahead of time that you need one.  We had a Toyoda 4 runner.

Tom

Date: 12/05/18 20:31
Author: bioyans

How about storage space in a Superliner bedroom? Booked a trip on the Southwest Chief for March, and this will be my first time in a Superliner bedroom (assigned to bedroom "E"). Traveling alone.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/05/18 22:26
Author: BRAtkinson

Forget the duct tape.  It leaves a gooey residue that has to be removed with various chemicals by someone, somewhere.  Instead, use gaffers tape.  It's more sticky than duct tape, in my opinion, and leaves NO residue!  It's even reusable multiple times as I use it to tape my scanner antenna to the window of a roomette and have even used it to 'fish' out the headphone adapter for my scanner after accidentally dropping it in the 'well' the tray table in a roomette drops in to.

And instead of rubber door stoppers, use carpenters wood shims instead.  They're cheap, and come in bundles of 15-20 or more for a couple of bucks at hardware stores as well as Home Depot, Lowes, etc.  I give some to the SCAs so they can stop rattles for passengers with something cheap.  I even use the shims on the outside of my door (near the top to make them unnoticable to most passengers walking past) to keep it closed when I go to the diner.  The good news?  If I forget them, I'm out 20 cents, give or take.  </sarcasm on> Big Deal! </sarcasm off> 

Date: 12/06/18 00:15
Author: dan

the nuclear grade duct tape leaves no residue

Date: 12/06/18 07:42
Author: Duna

BRAtkinson Wrote:
> Forget the duct tape.  It leaves a gooey residue
> that has to be removed with various chemicals by
> someone, somewhere.  Instead, use gaffers tape. 
> It's more sticky than duct tape, in my opinion,
> and leaves NO residue!  It's even reusable
> multiple times as I use it to tape my scanner
> antenna to the window of a roomette and have even
> used it to 'fish' out the headphone adapter for my
> scanner after accidentally dropping it in the
> 'well' the tray table in a roomette drops in to.
>
> And instead of rubber door stoppers, use
> carpenters wood shims instead.  They're cheap,
> and come in bundles of 15-20 or more for a couple
> of bucks at hardware stores as well as Home Depot,
> Lowes, etc.  I give some to the SCAs so they can
> stop rattles for passengers with something
> cheap.  I even use the shims on the outside of my
> door (near the top to make them unnoticable to
> most passengers walking past) to keep it closed
> when I go to the diner.  The good news?  If I
> forget them, I'm out 20 cents, give or take. 
> Big Deal!  

3rd world.

Date: 12/06/18 09:12
Author: BobB

bioyans Wrote:
> How about storage space in a Superliner bedroom?
> Booked a trip on the Southwest Chief for March,
> and this will be my first time in a Superliner
> bedroom (assigned to bedroom "E"). Traveling
> alone.
>
> Posted from Android

There's more floor space in a bedroom, along with a small shelf above the single chair that faces the sofa.  You can put bags in those areas and smaller items under the sofa (don't forget them when you get off).  And, of course, the downstairs storage space is available to everyone in the car.  My wife and I have always managed well, so you should do better unless you pack as though you were going on a 1920s ocean voyage, which I assume you don't.

Date: 12/06/18 10:12
Author: jst3751

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> A bicycle chain and lock can be helpful if you
> want to secure the bags to each other.
>
> Posted from Android

And if required you will find that chain and lock cut and removed.

2 times on my recent trip I assisted the sleeper attendant in rearranging the bags stored downstairs because newly boarding passengers had no place to put their 2 suitcases. Removing several bags and placing them in an orderly fashion found room for all of them.

Date: 12/06/18 11:24
Author: bioyans

BobB Wrote:

> There's more floor space in a bedroom, along with
> a small shelf above the single chair that faces
> the sofa.  You can put bags in those areas and
> smaller items under the sofa (don't forget them
> when you get off).  And, of course, the
> downstairs storage space is available to everyone
> in the car.  My wife and I have always managed
> well, so you should do better unless you pack as
> though you were going on a 1920s ocean voyage,
> which I assume you don't.

Thank you, sir!  Have traveled in the Viewliner roomettes, but never a Superliner sleeper.  Opted to pay more for a private bathroom, and the extra space, for the 40+ hour trip.

Date: 12/10/18 13:10
Author: Jimbo

We have found using two carry-on size bags works very well in a bedroom, at least B through E rooms (never used an "A" bedroom).  One goes on the little seat and the other under.  As mentioned there is also the shelf over the seat for stuff.

Date: 12/10/18 13:17
Author: Lackawanna484

jst3751 Wrote:
> Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A bicycle chain and lock can be helpful if you
> > want to secure the bags to each other.
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> And if required you will find that chain and lock
> cut and removed.
>
> 2 times on my recent trip I assisted the sleeper
> attendant in rearranging the bags stored
> downstairs because newly boarding passengers had
> no place to put their 2 suitcases. Removing
> several bags and placing them in an orderly
> fashion found room for all of them.

I'm surprised.  I've traveled all over Europe, and on a number of Amtrak trips.  Never had that happen.

Not once.  But, the Europeans can be more orderly, I guess.  And they don't store linens, towels and other house keeping materials in the luggage bins.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0764 seconds