Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Passenger Trains > Winter Storm AMTK Cancelations

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 12/08/18 06:03
Winter Storm AMTK Cancelations
Author: NSSpike

Amtrak Service Alert 
The following trains are canceled as a result of the storm comming out of the Gulf/Southeast.

The Crescent 20 (New Orleans – New York) is canceled on Saturday, Dec. 8.

The Cardinal 50 (Chicago - New York) will operate Chicago to Indianapolis on Saturday, Dec. 8.

The Silver Star 92 (Miami - New York) will operate Miami to Jacksonville, Fla., on Saturday, Dec. 8, and Sunday, Dec. 9.

Northeast Regional 145 (New York to Roanoke, Va.) will operate New York to Washington, D.C., on Sunday, Dec. 9.

The following trains are canceled for Sunday, Dec. 9:

• Auto Train 52 & 53 (Lorton, Va. – Sanford, Fla.)

• Crescent 19 & 20 (New York – New Orleans)

• Silver Meteor 97 & 98 (Miami – New York)

• Carolinian 79 & 80 (New York – Charlotte)

• Piedmont 73/74, 75/76, 77/78 (Raleigh – Charlotte)

The Crescent 19 (New York – New Orleans) is canceled on Monday, Dec. 10

The Silver Star 91 (New York – Miami) will operate from Jacksonville, Fla., to Miami on Monday, Dec. 10, and Tuesday, Dec. 11.

Northeast Regional 176 (Roanoke, Va., – New York) will operate Washington, D.C., to New York on Monday, Dec. 10.

The Cardinal 51 (New York – Chicago) will operate Indianapolis to Chicago on Monday, Dec. 10

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 12/08/18 07:02
Re: Winter Storm AMTK Cancelations
Author: PC1974

All weather mode transportation? A thing of the past....

Date: 12/08/18 07:17
Re: Winter Storm AMTK Cancellations
Author: andersonb109

National Weather Service says: "Moderate to heavy snow" for Richmond and the deep south.  But wait. Doesn't it snow every year?  This is beyond dumb. Amtrak should be ashamed (or the host railroads who mandate they don't run).  VIA would be out of business in Winter if they stoped running due to this type of Winter weather. When's the last time the Canadian or Ocean were canceled do to Winter weather?  We have turned into a nation of wimps. Every time there is the slightest storm, the Weather Channel makes it sound like Armageddon. I got stuck at Hartsfield last year on a plane for four hours waiting to get deiced. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Atlanta's first ice storm. But with all the global warming hestaria, maybe they thought the days or ice and snow were over? Maybe Delta Dick thought the same.

Date: 12/08/18 08:10
Author: pdt

Money first, service 2nd.  Welcome to modern day America. 

All the talk and amazement about George HW, and his sense of service to others.  So much patronizing talk; so little actual following of his lead.

Date: 12/08/18 08:51
Author: ClubCar

As we have discussed on here several times; it is a matter of money and liability in today's environment.  The freight railroads DO NOT have the personnel working the way they did back in the 1950's, 60's and even into the early 1970's thus they are saving money.  I've explained this before that everyone involved today is worried that something could happen whereby the train could be stranded by a broken down locomotive, frozen switches, signal failures, etc. and no personnel there to resolve these problems, thus people (passengers) will immediately seek legal action in court for their inconveniences if they would become stranded somewhere and keep in mind, many of these trains have limited food and beverages if they have any now at all thanks to the Grinch Anderson and his cronies.   It's definitely not the same world any more.  It's not because our folks are wimps, it's because nobody wants the liability.
John in White Marsh, Maryland.

Date: 12/08/18 09:18
Author: jp1822

THe one report I saw, and maybe it changed, I am not sure (hopefully it did) called for Roanoke getting 5 inches of snow - but at a 70% chance. Train cancelled all up and down the Ohio Valley and Appalachian trail though. Seems like Amtrak makes these decisions to cancel - based on often very inaccurate weather forecasts - too far ahead of time. When they predict snow or rain and it is sunny, it begins to bit them in the @$$. And this has happened all too often this past year. Then at the same time, we've had some very bad weather surprises. I have an organization that lives and dies by the weather. They've gotten killed this past year due to the wet weather. But in actuality, they are getting even more killed by inaccurate weather forecasters because the "monsoons" that they predict, often don't pan out. It has obliterated the organization's finances this year. Organization is based out of the MidAtlantic Region. All for health and safety, but we have some overzealous weather forecasters at times.........The organization now doesn't make decisions till day of 6 am after a re-consideration of the weather. But often time, they are still done in, because people are now adding to the negativity of weather forecasting on social media. "How could you have this event or venue when it calls for 90% chance of rain." But then in actuality it is drizzle or mist, which is actually the PERFECT weather for this organization. 

Bottom line - Watch what you cancel out and when. Sometimes it is better to "wait and see." 

Was the Crescen truncated so that it could still operated south of Atlanta, and perhaps on the northern most part of the route? 

Date: 12/08/18 09:31
Author: BRAtkinson

Far too often these days the weather forecasters, from local TV to the Weather Channel, are quite wrong...even within 12 hours!  The unfortunate reality is they all rely far too much on 'computer models' rather than good 'ol tried and true weather forecasting.  My memory is perhaps a bit foggy these days, but back before the computer age in weather forecasting, what the weatherman (always men, as I recall, too!) on TV said actually came to pass!  None of this  '30% chance of rain today, 50% tomorrow' and it's just a grey day the whole time.  I remember well that when Bill Carlson said the weather would be ...., IT WAS!  Extra points if you know who/where/what station Bill Carlson was on. 

Date: 12/08/18 09:43
Author: P

This is simply outrageous to cancel nearly all Amtrak service east of the Mississippi for a forecast 48 hours ahead.

5 inches of snow?? Are you kidding Me? There may be localized areas that are very bad, but to cancel all service over this large of an area is a huge slap in the face to their customers. Most people would prefer to get there a little late, rather than no attempt whatsoever. Think of passengers on the Cardinal for Sunday. Next train is on Wednesday. Talk about getting screwed by Amtrak. Unbelievable, and simply unacceptable.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/18 09:51 by P.

Date: 12/08/18 10:04
Author: Alco251

BRAtkinson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
 I remember well that
> when Bill Carlson said the weather would be ....,
> IT WAS!  Extra points if you know who/where/what
> station Bill Carlson was on. 

WCCO-TV, Minneapolis.

Date: 12/08/18 10:35
Author: pdt

ClubCar Wrote:
> As we have discussed on here several times; it is
> a matter of money and liability in today's
> environment.  The freight railroads DO NOT have
> the personnel working the way they did back in the
> 1950's, 60's and even into the early 1970's thus
> they are saving money.  I've explained this
> before that everyone involved today is worried
> that something could happen whereby the train
> could be stranded by a broken down locomotive,
> frozen switches, signal failures, etc. and no
> personnel there to resolve these problems, thus
> people (passengers) will immediately seek legal
> action in court for their inconveniences if they
> would become stranded somewhere and keep in mind,
> many of these trains have limited food and
> beverages if they have any now at all thanks to
> the Grinch Anderson and his cronies.   It's
> definitely not the same world any more.  It's not
> because our folks are wimps, it's because nobody
> wants the liability.
> John in White Marsh, Maryland.

We have turned into a nation of whimps...where ppl are encouraged to sue everyone anyone they can for a big free payoff. Fueled by TV and social media and trial lawyers.  And the result is the great pull back on everything, to avoid being sued.  Read what you've written..yes, current society is all driven by money more than ever.  Its cheaper to not staff ppl to clear tracks and switches, not have ppl available for emergencies, and not run trains.  Yes, the world is different today, and its a shame. No, pathetic.   Its the same in the airline business, where Richard came from.  We used to fly in weather, and make our own decisions, and try to get flights completed.  Now, things are cancelled 24 hours ahead.   People are more willing to accept sleeping overnight on an airport floor, for some reason.

What we are all mouriing here, is the RR's total lack of desire to use a competitive edge...ability to transport in weather.  We want passenger rail travel to suceed, and here is is, just giving up when weather comes, rather than being competitive.  Yes, times have changed, but some of us are still competitive and sucess driven in nature, and hate seeing all the whimpiness.

Date: 12/08/18 10:46
Author: steamloco

I am glad NS doesn’t shut down for snow, don’t think their stock would be worth much if they shut down every time the snow covered the ties.

Date: 12/08/18 11:43
Author: PHall

In New York state 5 inches of snow is nothing, in Charlotte, North Carolina it's a disaster. They don't have the equipment or the experience to handle it.
And I know for a fact that if Amtrak had run these trains and they were delayed in any way there would be many STATE OF GOOD REPAIR threads here and the supposedly "pro passenger" Passenger Board.

Date: 12/08/18 12:23
Re: Winter Storm AMTK Cancelations
Author: RayH

I'm guessing it's just an oversight that The Palmetto is omitted from this list. I can't imagine the 52/53 and 97/98 would be cancelled yet 89/90 would be running (on the same route).
NSSpike Wrote:
> Amtrak Service Alert 
> The following trains are canceled as a result of
> the storm comming out of the Gulf/Southeast.
>
> The Crescent 20 (New Orleans – New York) is
> canceled on Saturday, Dec. 8.
>
> The Cardinal 50 (Chicago - New York) will operate
> Chicago to Indianapolis on Saturday, Dec. 8.
>
> The Silver Star 92 (Miami - New York) will operate
> Miami to Jacksonville, Fla., on Saturday, Dec. 8,
> and Sunday, Dec. 9.
>
> Northeast Regional 145 (New York to Roanoke, Va.)
> will operate New York to Washington, D.C., on
> Sunday, Dec. 9.
>
> The following trains are canceled for Sunday, Dec.
> 9:
>
> • Auto Train 52 & 53 (Lorton, Va. – Sanford,
> Fla.)
>
> • Crescent 19 & 20 (New York – New Orleans)
>
> • Silver Meteor 97 & 98 (Miami – New York)
>
> • Carolinian 79 & 80 (New York – Charlotte)
>
> • Piedmont 73/74, 75/76, 77/78 (Raleigh –
> Charlotte)
>
> The Crescent 19 (New York – New Orleans) is
> canceled on Monday, Dec. 10
>
> The Silver Star 91 (New York – Miami) will
> operate from Jacksonville, Fla., to Miami on
> Monday, Dec. 10, and Tuesday, Dec. 11.
>
> Northeast Regional 176 (Roanoke, Va., – New
> York) will operate Washington, D.C., to New York
> on Monday, Dec. 10.
>
> The Cardinal 51 (New York – Chicago) will
> operate Indianapolis to Chicago on Monday, Dec. 10

Date: 12/08/18 12:47
Author: Jimbo

jp1822 Wrote:
> The one report I saw, and maybe it changed, I am
> not sure (hopefully it did) called for Roanoke
> getting 5 inches of snow - but at a 70% chance.
 (snip)

As of 3:30 PM EST the estimate for Roanoke is up, now estimated at 8 to 12 inches.  It was 5 to 8 earlier today.  Snow should begin before dawn Sunday.

Date: 12/08/18 12:48
Author: radar

BRAtkinson Wrote:
> Far too often these days the weather forecasters,
> from local TV to the Weather Channel, are quite
> wrong...even within 12 hours!  The unfortunate
> reality is they all rely far too much on 'computer
> models' rather than good 'ol tried and true
> weather forecasting.  My memory is perhaps a bit
> foggy these days, but back before the computer age
> in weather forecasting, what the weatherman
> (always men, as I recall, too!) on TV said
> actually came to pass!  None of this  '30%
> chance of rain today, 50% tomorrow' and it's just
> a grey day the whole time.  I remember well that

Your memory IS fuzzy.  I've seen statistics on forecast accuracy over the years and it is way better now than it ever has been.  Back then, we were just more awed when they actually got it right.

Date: 12/08/18 14:32
Author: co614

All I can say is.......Sad, really sad what this outfit has become !!! Talk about cowards !!!

IMHO-Ross Rowland 

Date: 12/08/18 14:45
Author: Lackawanna484

Have we established that this is Amtrak's decision?  It's possible the host railroad(s) asked Amtrak to suspend operations

Date: 12/08/18 15:15
Author: mp51w

BRAtkinson Wrote:
> Far too often these days the weather forecasters,
> from local TV to the Weather Channel, are quite
> wrong...even within 12 hours!  The unfortunate
> reality is they all rely far too much on 'computer
> models' rather than good 'ol tried and true
> weather forecasting.  My memory is perhaps a bit
> foggy these days, but back before the computer age
> in weather forecasting, what the weatherman
> (always men, as I recall, too!) on TV said
> actually came to pass!  None of this  '30%
> chance of rain today, 50% tomorrow' and it's just
> a grey day the whole time.  I remember well that

4 WTMJ TV Milwaukee!  I think Paul Joseph replaced him.  Didn't he do Butternut coffee promos too?

Date: 12/08/18 16:29
Author: ProAmtrak

Here we go again, just like back in March, Propeller Head and his cronies think the trains are gonna get suck each time a winter storm shows up, give me a break!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/18 16:43 by ProAmtrak.

Date: 12/08/18 16:31
Author: BRAtkinson

mp51w Wrote:
> BRAtkinson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Far too often these days the weather
> forecasters,
> > from local TV to the Weather Channel, are quite
> > wrong...even within 12 hours!  The unfortunate
> > reality is they all rely far too much on
> 'computer
> > models' rather than good 'ol tried and true
> > weather forecasting.  My memory is perhaps a
> bit
> > foggy these days, but back before the computer
> age
> > in weather forecasting, what the weatherman
> > (always men, as I recall, too!) on TV said
> > actually came to pass!  None of this  '30%
> > chance of rain today, 50% tomorrow' and it's
> just
> > a grey day the whole time.  I remember well
> that
> > when Bill Carlson said the weather would be
> ....,
> > IT WAS!  Extra points if you know
> who/where/what
> > station Bill Carlson was on. 
>
> 4 WTMJ TV Milwaukee!  I think Paul Joseph
> replaced him.  Didn't he do Butternut coffee
> promos too?

BINGO!!!!!

Your memory is better than mine re: Butternut Coffee.  Now I remember that's what he advertised. 

Back then, local and national TV personalities did a lot of commercials as part of their shows.  Even Groucho Marx and Jack Benny did commercials on nationwide radio and later TV during their shows.  Those were simpler days back then, and the weathermen were 'real' meteorologists.  Todays' TV meteorologists presumably got their BS degrees in meteorology, they're 100% dependent on what the computer says, not what they should have learned to do reading weather maps with isobars and all wind speeds, etc.  Can computers do it better?  If my local TV stations here in Springfield  MA get it more than 50% rright, I'd be amazed!

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1051 seconds