Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Passenger Trains > Railway article today

Date: 12/11/18 07:59
Railway article today
Author: Flyer92122

Hail Marys for lame duck session. I’m perplexed about the part of the three Amtrak board appointees waiting to be confirmed. All three have in the past voted or insinuated they would zero Amtrak funding. Why would the magazine or author wish such unqualified, narrow minded people be confirmed. Either way it shows the tough rode ahead for our national rail system. 

https://www.railwayage.com/freight/in-congress-its-hail-mary-time/

We’ll be done with Trump soon enough, hopefully setting the seeds to kill Amtrak isn’t part of the legacy he leaves us.

I guess I didn’t read the credits of the author. Heritage and Cato both cited, nuff said.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/18 08:08 by Flyer92122.

Date: 12/11/18 10:10
Re: Railway article today
Author: engineerinvirginia

Flyer92122 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hail Marys for lame duck session. I’m perplexed
> about the part of the three Amtrak board
> appointees waiting to be confirmed. All three have
> in the past voted or insinuated they would zero
> Amtrak funding. Why would the magazine or author
> wish such unqualified, narrow minded people be
> confirmed. Either way it shows the tough rode
> ahead for our national rail system. 
>
> https://www.railwayage.com/freight/in-congress-its
> -hail-mary-time/
>
> We’ll be done with Trump soon enough, hopefully
> setting the seeds to kill Amtrak isn’t part of
> the legacy he leaves us.
>
> I guess I didn’t read the credits of the author.
> Heritage and Cato both cited, nuff said.
They can say antything they want....but if Congress as a body allocates some money for Amtrak....and if they want relected they always do, Amtrak will have money. The board can't say "we ain't gonna spend it" because the allocation is going to come with strings..."you must buy this, and this and you must fix this and that, and add this many trains" SO many pundits say soooo many things but Amtrak always gets something. Never quite enough, but more than anyone ever expects.  AS a taxpayer I feel it a public convenience and so needs some subsidy. I am fine with funding it. 

Date: 12/11/18 11:12
Author: ronald321

When you look seriously at the swamp that Amtrak's leadership has become -  it's hard to avoid the conclusion that Amtrak will meet a cruel fate.

New Board Nominees

Pres. Trump proposed a Zero Budget, so he nominates these gentlemen:
Mr. Westmorland - voted TWICE to defund Amtrak (so. we can call him an anti-Amtrak Board member)
Mr. Gunters - Co-Chairman Trump Campaign (He owes this job to Trump--and Trump wants Zero Amtrak)
Mr. Dearborn- Trump Deputy Chief of Staff (

Top Management Team

Richard Anderson, Timothy Griffin, and Kenneth Hylander, -- All three x-Airline guys with no passenger rail experience whatsoever.

None of these 6 guys have a work background which would qualify them to be employed by Amtrak.
However. THEY ARE WELL QUALIFIED to dismantle it.  I believe this is their goal.

Date: 12/11/18 16:14
Author: mp51w

If those Amtrak board nominees are approved, it's over bro!

Date: 12/11/18 17:14
Author: SANSR

"We’ll be done with Trump soon enough, hopefully setting the seeds to kill Amtrak isn’t part of the legacy he leaves us.

I guess I didn’t read the credits of the author. Heritage and Cato both cited, nuff said."
`~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank God we didn't let politics invade this thread.........................................

Date: 12/11/18 17:26
Author: RRBMail

mp51w Wrote:
> If those Amtrak board nominees are approved, it's
> over bro!

Not to worrry, the new Congress will ride to the rescue!

Date: 12/12/18 05:29
Author: utwazoo

Since the legislative branch consists of two entities,  maybe not.

Date: 12/12/18 10:43
Author: hazegray

RRBaron Wrote:
> mp51w Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If those Amtrak board nominees are approved, it's over bro!
>
> Not to worrry, the new Congress will ride to the rescue!

Do BOTH Houses of Congress (Senate and House) have to approve?
Because if it's only the Senate, this approval is a done deal. 

Date: 12/12/18 10:59
Author: joemvcnj

Is Senator Moran's hold on Board appointments still in effect ?

Date: 12/12/18 11:53
Author: Flyer92122

Total educaucated guess here but I’d assume the holds go out the door in January when new congress is seated. Hopefully the holds can be reinstated. Assuming they do get confirmed, what would it take for the new President in 2020 to replace them with his/her own picks before their terms expire? Can a President fire the board or a board member is the question?

Date: 12/12/18 22:53
Author: another_view

No doubt, a difficult Board to deal with.

No doubt, the most qualified senior management team in Amtrak’s history (next to Graham Clayton) to bring it to break even and end the constant mindless, incomprehensible, idiotic control of Congress. End the subsidy and end the madness.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.067 seconds