Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Passenger Trains > FL BrightLine has a non-fatal crash in Lantana

Date: 12/12/18 13:13
FL BrightLine has a non-fatal crash in Lantana
Author: Lackawanna484

Woman stopped her SUV on the tracks, presumably waiting for a traffic light to change.  Crossing warning signals activated, she was unable to back out of the way, SUV was clobbered.  I believe Ocean Avenue and Dixie Highway is a quad gate crossing.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20181212/brightline-train-hits-suv-in-lantana-driver-escapes-injury

=====================

Same problem, different intersection, this time in West Palm Beach last night.

I was in the left turn lanes on Okeechobee Road at the Tri-Rail crossing.  The left turn arrows turned green, and almost immediately went back to red as bells clanged, lights flashed, and five cars crossed under the descending gate arms.  Counted them. The far side arms came down a few seconds later.

It's not unusual to see cars zipping under the descending arms, but five is a lot.  I don't know what the fine is for violating a crossing signal n Florida, but I know a few NJ towns that would stake out a situation like to pick up a few hundred $ in fines.

Date: 12/12/18 13:46
Re: FL BrightLine has a non-fatal crash in Lantana
Author: chrsjrcj

At Okeechobee going eastbound there are two sets of light, the lights that are on the far side of the tracks should remain green while the set of lights before the tracks turn red. While technically they are for the same intersection, it should prevent anyone from getting stuck on the tracks before the exit gate comes down.

Date: 12/12/18 14:00
Author: andersonb109

Story incorrectly says since October "Brightline trains have killed 7 people."  More correctly, these people killed themselves, violating the law by tresspassing, driving around or under the gates, or not making sure there was enough room on the other side of the tracks to clear.  Good the woman wasn't killed. Not sad her SUV was totaled. 

Date: 12/12/18 14:17
Author: Lackawanna484

chrsjrcj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At Okeechobee going eastbound there are two sets
> of light, the lights that are on the far side of
> the tracks should remain green while the set of
> lights before the tracks turn red. While
> technically they are for the same intersection, it
> should prevent anyone from getting stuck on the
> tracks before the exit gate comes down.

That's correct, but the first green arrow only remained green for 2-3 seconds. Although it immediately went red, people continued to pile across the rails.

Date: 12/12/18 15:45
Author: EsPee1229

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Story incorrectly says since October "Brightline
> trains have killed 7 people."  More correctly,
> these people killed themselves, violating the law
> by tresspassing, driving around or under the
> gates, or not making sure there was enough room on
> the other side of the tracks to clear.  Good the
> woman wasn't killed. Not sad her SUV was
> totaled. 

Absolutely correct. These collisions are the result of drivers and pedestrians making a poor decisions. As everyone on this list knows trains do not chase down autos or people. And it always chaps my shorts when I hear or read the news report that they were struck by "a speeding train!"  Idiots.

LOOK, LISTEN, AND LIVE!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0312 seconds