Home Open Account Help 199 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Responds to NS Warning over Tweets

Date: 03/27/19 18:33
Amtrak Responds to NS Warning over Tweets
Author: cabsignaldrop

https://www.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/AmtrakResponsetoNorfolkSouthern2019.pdf?mod=article_inline

I thought this was interesting.  Sharply worded, also.  You might have to copy the link and open it in the browser.  Sorry, I'm old and my computer skills (among many other things) are lacking.

Date: 03/27/19 19:01
Re: Amtrak Responds to NS Warning over Tweets
Author: up421

Thanks for posting the link to the Amtrak response.

Date: 03/27/19 19:57
Author: bath_wildcat

The letter is all fluff and no action by Amtrak.  Norfolk Southern doesnt care about Amtrak.  Trust me. 

The biggest thing is with that letter the ball is in Norfolk Southerns court, but As I will point out, the Chicago line IS congested as it is.  ITs one of those things I hope NS tells that snake of an an attorney for Amtrak to bleep off and POUND SAND!  

Delays you cannot do anything about, citing an obscure lew, thats reaching at best. 

And if you must know, Ive been on delayed Amtrak trains, my first ride was to Cumberland, MD scouting a college.  On he way back wed sat for hours due to a derailment by NS right in front of the Station.  

My other two trips were early or on time.  

My last one last year we were behind broke down 23M on the LAke Shore Limited. didnt matter to me as I had the whole day in Chicago anyway!

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 03/27/19 20:22
Author: jp1822

But I give Amtrak credit for drafting this response with focus on details. 

Date: 03/28/19 05:47
Author: Chessie1963

I think it is an impressive letter.  It cites the law and taxpayer funded upgrades that NS enjoys while throwing the bird at Amtrak.  Amtrak is the reason the upgrades took place and NS is a direct beneficiary.  NS does not have a leg to stand on in the sense that Amtrak's tweets are true.  If they were not, then NS has a case.  Otherwise NS cannot do a thing.

This will likely have no impact other than to let NS know that the tweets will continue, as they should.  Amtrak has stuck a nerve, and NS responded.  So did Amtrak.

Kudos to Amtrak for standing its ground.  It is time to stop the abuse.  Yes, I understand freight operations from experience as a shipper and a few years working for a railroad in operations, so I am not just some fan spouting off.  Good dispatching is both an art and a science.  It is too bad that the art of the work is fading as technology, in its infinite wisdom (sarcasm here...) takes over the job.

Date: 03/28/19 09:30
Author: stash

Great letter.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/28/19 09:43
Author: Lackawanna484

Yes, the letter defines Amtrak's position, and lays out Amtrak's expectations.

IF Amtrak decides to sue or seek regulatory relief, this would an exhibit in the notice of damage.

Well before anything gets to that point, NS will have its lobbyists working the Hill and regulatory agencies to assure nothing happens.

Date: 03/28/19 09:55
Author: twropr

What's interesting is that now of the examples Amtrak's attorney cite involve the former N&W segments between Norfolk and Petersburg and Roanoke to Lynchburg.  Apparently the capacity investments VA made prior to putting on the trains have helped.
On the other hand, the investments NC made between Greensboro and Charlotte have not dissuaded NS dispatchers from sticking the Carolionian, Crescent and Piedmonts with their freights.
Andy

Date: 03/28/19 10:28
Author: 79mph

In almost every case, taxpayer-funded improvements to host railroads have assisted their freight operations, but have not improved passenger service.
CSX got a passing track at New Orleans Gentilly Yard for the Sunset Limited back in the day.  CSX used it as an additional yard track to park freight cuts.
UP got numerous improvements to its trackage across Missouri for state-supported River Runners.
At the first opportunity, UP cancels access to River Runners in order to run its freights.
UP in Illinois another example, after ten years and billions of dollars, no improvements for Lincoln Services, but improved freight traffic.
Chicago CREATE improvements do not seem to have helped passenger services much, unless perhaps METRA has gained some traction.
Amtrak trains are still typically throttled getting in and out of Chicago. 
We're hoping someone on the board might come up with an example or two to the contrary. 

Date: 03/28/19 10:32
Author: anthracite

Chessie1963 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
[ - snip - ]
> Good dispatching is both an art and a
> science.  It is too bad that the art of the work
> is fading as technology, in its infinite wisdom
> (sarcasm here...) takes over the job.

Emphasis mine. One of the primary reasons I still renew my Trainorders account is so that I may continue reading all of T.O. member TAW's superbly insightful, clear, insider accounts of how things can - and should - be done, versus how they are actually done. Regardless of any purely physical improvements that can be made to aid in dispatching the traffic, where there's no will at Norfolk Southern there's definitely no way.

Norfolk Southern is presently on a path versus Amtrak that may end up turning out not necessarily to NS' advantage. I'm disturbed that they're so willing to just publicly bluster about it instead of tackling the root issues concretely. Let them saber-rattle and harrumph all that they like - they're just handing Amtrak more ammunition to use against them. While Amtrak is not wholly blameless (occasional delayed departures due to their own madhouse), NS's toxic contributions to this *chronic* and worsening mess are far bigger and are destructive not only to the very few Amtrak trains which NS hosts, but ultimately it's also harmful to the performance of NS' own freight trains and likely the morale of its crews and dispatchers alike.

Date: 03/29/19 07:44
Author: WM_1109

Set aside, for the moment, any personal sympathies for either Amtrak or NS. And set aside, for the moment, any distaste for lawyers in general.

This is a brilliantly written letter.

To begin, the Amtrak lawyer thanks the NS lawyer for following the @AmtrakAlerts Twitter account, noting that, indeed, their "customers really appreciate the explanation about when and why they are being delayed." Then, after citing relevant data, the relevant law, and a host of specific examples, the Amtrak lawyer ends by taking NS' veiled threat ("will be forced to take further action"), and completely nullifies it by inviting them to take further action:  "We urge Norfolk Southern to live up to that promise by taking immediate action to improve the on-time performance of Amtrak trains on your railroad."

Ouch.

Amtrak 1. NS 0.

-Ted

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0498 seconds