Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Passenger Trains > Trip review WAS/CHI/LAX/SAN

Date: 03/30/19 16:25
Trip review WAS/CHI/LAX/SAN
Author: RevRandy

After 3540 Amtrak miles (on 51, 3, 768) I arrived in San Diego on time this afternoon.  My two bags checked from WAS arrived as well. 

Along the way I had a good lunch, dinner, and breakfast on the Cardinal, despite limited means of preparing.  Crew (onboard and operating) all professional and helpful. Love the spaciousness of the Viewliner sleepers  and had a great sleep. 

Southwest Chief, as noted in a post below, had its problems (hitting a vehicle in Kansas, some PTC loading issues, no desserts put on at Chicago) but an enthusiastic team of onboard personnel made all of that just a minor bump in the road.  Merrill in the diner and Peter (a new hire on his 4-5-6th days of service in any diner) and the unnamed chef gave us wonderful (!) meals, and even found a way to have some desserts by the last dinner.  Ended up about 1 hour late into LAX ... no problem with most connections made without undue waiting, and the bus connection to Bakersfield was held for us.  LAUPT is, as always, a marvel.  

Surfliner was at sell-out level;  all bi-level equipment and an Amtrak sightseer lounge was in substitution for the usual AMTRAK California cafe car.  This is an interesting route with sections roaring along at 89 mph in tight ROWs in populated areas and elsewhere crawling along at 40 mph in some industrial areas.  The sun was out, the surf was up, the surfers were trying, and all was well with the world.

Along the way met several riders who knew one or the other of two of my brothers (one is an RPA VP, another was President of AREMA  [American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association]).  I also met a man who did rail testing with Herzog, the same job I had on a NYCRR owned Sperry car.  Small world! Such is the wonder and joy of train travel.  

And I did not hear anyone say "never again," and more than a few wanting to talk with us seasoned travelers about other trips they could take.  

Date: 03/30/19 17:30
Re: Trip review WAS/CHI/LAX/SAN
Author: Mudrock

Good story Randy. Glad you had a nice trip.  Where do you head to next!

Chris

Date: 03/30/19 17:36
Author: ProAmtrak

Sucks I missed you last night Randy, still don't why make the connection in LA to head to San Diego, Fullerton's a lot quicker!

Date: 03/31/19 07:46
Author: CP8888

So good to hear a very positive report.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/31/19 15:51
Author: RevRandy

ProAmtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sucks I missed you last night Randy, still don't
> why make the connection in LA to head to San
> Diego, Fullerton's a lot quicker!

I just wanted to see LAUPT again and have a more relaxed morning on #3 -- I had some work to do before I got to San Diego and I did not want to do it on 768: rather just enjoy the ride and the views (like the surf's up and the surfers' up video attached).  

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/02/19 13:37
Author: Abqfoamer

Ahhh California...even though its now way over-populated and wrongly-governed since the 60s, 70s, still a magic place.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1676 seconds