Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Divisional Map, March 2019

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/19/19 00:55
Amtrak Divisional Map, March 2019
Author: GenePoon

Information as of March 2019, issued April 2019

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/19 01:02 by GenePoon.

Date: 04/19/19 05:46
Re: Amtrak Divisional Map, March 2019
Author: BCutter

This question is out of curiosity and I am not trying to stir the pot!  I note that many of the routes are split between divisions.  In my mind, that brings on the appearance if not the reality of inconsistency for many things. These things would include, but not be limited to, OBS crew performances, en route maintenance issues, etc.  Is there a valid reason why this has been done -- and by a valid reason I do not mean "because"!

TIA!

Bruce
Columbia MO

Date: 04/19/19 05:50
Author: PRR_4859

I would have thought that the Northeast Corridor and Harrisburg Line would have been under one division.

Date: 04/19/19 06:17
Author: FloridaTrainGuy

PRR_4859 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would have thought that the Northeast Corridor
> and Harrisburg Line would have been under one
> division.

The Northeast Corridor isn't even intact.  This looks rather strange in my opinion.

Date: 04/19/19 06:33
Author: mbutte

Remember...this maps shows the Transportation (i.e. Operating) Department Divisions which are responsible for getting the trains over the road safely. The train & engine (T&E) crew employees are under this leadership & management structure

On Board Services, Mechanical and Maintenance of Way functions are separate departments with their own structure and leadership.

Date: 04/19/19 07:10
Author: KV1guy

The diesel swap out in DC will one day be a thing of the past  due to the sale of the air rights above the station.  In whatever decade that the covering of the WUT tracks with infastructure gets done, the diesel swap to electric is currently thought of being moved to Philadelphia.  This may have a hand in that.

Personally, I dont see how thats going to help the NEC when most diesels wont do over 125 and only have about half the HP compared to an electric.  The swap should be done south of DC but I have no clue on that one either!

FloridaTrainGuy Wrote:
> PRR_4859 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I would have thought that the Northeast
> Corridor
> > and Harrisburg Line would have been under one
> > division.
>
> The Northeast Corridor isn't even intact.  This
> looks rather strange in my opinion.

Date: 04/19/19 07:15
Author: Lackawanna484

Agree on the merit of a swap south of DC.

But, Amazon is already changing the face of Alexandria, and nobody is going to restring new wire down there.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/19/19 08:21
Author: TAW

Looks like Superintendents will be as out of touch with the railroad as train dispatchers are.

TAW

Date: 04/19/19 10:53
Author: PC1974

Interesting to see a question about product lines being hinted.. That was a a few re-org's ago. It's probably due to be dusted off soon, as the NEW plan one of these days.

Always loved those division lines. The one at Huntington, WV was a real joy to see play out. Neither side (operating divisions) cared about the Red Bird as soon as the train was clear of their end. Likewise, they could care less before it arrived on their side, too. Doug Adams was the manager Huntington/East back in the day, and just seemed to hate the train and crews that ran it. Some criticism was deserved, but a lot was not.

Doug went on to mentor Shawn Gordon (who's name is on the map) to be just like him. The inside joke was to call him Shawn Adams. As a rookie RFE, he took a crew out of service over a rules violation, and then took over the train and operated it. Didn't make a running brake test and got called out, but silver spoon in mouth he got a slap on the wrist instead of a charge letter. He's made a name for himself with his Mac Computer skills and presentations, moving right up the ladder. And you wonder why I laugh at org charts and division boundaries..

Amtrak LTD = White Collar Crime

Date: 04/19/19 13:48
Author: Englewood

Good to see the Decataldo's still exerting influence................

Date: 04/19/19 13:55
Author: Lackawanna484

Lots of guys (and girls) have moved up the corporate ladder on less than good Mac computer skills.  A big smile, good old boy composure goes a long way.  Maybe even farther than talent and hard work in many places.

Date: 04/19/19 14:06
Author: PHall

To me the Division boundries seem to be at crew change points.

Date: 04/19/19 14:30
Author: joemvcnj

PHall Wrote:
> To me the Division boundries seem to be at crew change points.

All crews change in New York City. Only Harrisburgh crews change at Philly. 

Date: 04/19/19 16:39
Author: PHall

joemvcnj Wrote:
> PHall Wrote:
> -----
> > To me the Division boundries seem to be at
> crew change points.
>
> All crews change in New York City. Only
> Harrisburgh crews change at Philly. 

But out west they do change crews at Grand Junction, Beamont and Dodge City.  The NEC plays by their own rules because their situation is unique.

Date: 04/19/19 17:08
Author: ProAmtrak

Another attempt on 'improving Amtrak' I take it, be nice if they actually had leadership that held everyone accountable!

Date: 04/19/19 18:52
Author: another_view

GenePoon Wrote:
> Information as of March 2019, issued April 2019

This is not much different than it has been for a number of years in different iterations. Everyone of these individuals are DeCataldo minions except for Hosey which is the only one with a bit of sense and an education. Other than that the only credentials that any of them have is being a yes man and kissing the ring. No one can explain how the heck Naparstek got to where he’s at!

Young - Wild Thing! Great railroader but how he hasn’t gotten fired due to his uncontrolled outbursts and inflammatory remarks is beyond comprehension.

Gordon - A master at putting lipstick on a pig, highly visible position and he is a strong second to O’Mara in telling the boss what he wants to hear no matter who it might hurt as long as it’s not him.

O’Mara - “Don’t worry boss, I know who to blame and it’s not me”, hasn’t taken responsibility for a single thing in years and gets away with it time after time. Like a child who rats out his little brother, mommy mommy look what he did! Takes credit for everyone’s successes without giving them credit and blames everyone else for all failures. At least the other three have some Operating experience!

Hosey - Smart, educated, even-tempered, great relationships with labor and stake holders. Certainly not a DeCataldo guy. but I guess he is far enough away not to be a threat.

Just my two cents, this has to surprise a few folks here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/19 19:08 by another_view.

Date: 04/19/19 19:46
Author: mundo

Agree on Hosey.  While a freight background, he served several years as manager of the Texas Eagle and Sunset, has a great interest in passenger OBS, but sure his time is now 24/7 on the operations of the vast West.

Was able to spend 24+ hours with him on board the Eagle a couple of years ago and very impressed with his knowldge and interest.

Date: 04/19/19 23:11
Author: OTG

TAW Wrote:
> Looks like Superintendents will be as out of touch
> with the railroad as train dispatchers are.
>
> TAW

While I agree with you that they are, the people listed are Vice Presidents, presumably with 3-4 Superintendents each under them.

Date: 04/19/19 23:32
Author: mundo

Where do they find the Superindents ?

More RFE's go upstains, with little management to go with it.

Date: 04/20/19 07:08
Author: TAW

OTG Wrote:
> TAW Wrote:
> -----
> > Looks like Superintendents will be as out of
> touch
> > with the railroad as train dispatchers are.
> >
> > TAW
>
> While I agree with you that they are, the people
> listed are Vice Presidents, presumably with 3-4
> Superintendents each under them.

Thanks. That makes more sense.

TAW

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1012 seconds