Home Open Account Help 401 users online

Passenger Trains > Two Very Different Critters On NYC Subway

Date: 05/14/19 14:03
Two Very Different Critters On NYC Subway
Author: spider1319

My first ever visit to New York City was this month.We saw  a work train on the line to Coney Island at the location pictured below. I guess I could try to figure it out,but I do remember it was where the subway ended and elevated began.We (my youngest son and I) got off to look around and the little work train showed up.The other critter is pictured last and he and a friend were in the process of recovering some discarded food.I have had  cats that could fix this problem.All in all I was impressed with the subway as far as cleanliness and access and assistance provided by subway employees.We(mostly me) were  clueless on this first visit.Bill Webb 

Date: 05/14/19 14:33
Re: Two Very Different Critters On NYC Subway
Author: SD80MACfan

At first I was going to say that was a Whitcomb endcab, but apparently its a General Electric 50 Tonner that was built in 1983. Interesting that GE was still building engines like this that late.

Date: 05/14/19 15:14
Author: Duna

USA subway rats are best!

Well, officially I think we are #3 after India and Brazil, but were coming on strong.

Date: 05/14/19 16:07
Author: joemvcnj

Chambers Street on the J and 59th on the A/B/C/D are the worst places to be, and they do not fear humans. 
I do not think there is a single rat in the entire Alberta Province. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/19 16:08 by joemvcnj.

Date: 05/15/19 00:25
Author: pdt

Looks like u are at 9th av on the west end line .  Juncion of the old BMT culver line (now abandoned from just east of this station to Ditmas avemue, the West end line to coney Island, a very large material handlng m/w yard, and the South Brooklyn Raileay.    Work trains are are rather common sight there. Plenty of M/W engines and the SBK Rwy engines are based there.

Date: 05/15/19 05:24
Author: Buhl56

Try looking at the NYC subway pages, and links.  

They have not been updated, much, for several years; but do have route maps, lots of photos, some books, and lists of equipment, including MOW equipment.

Bill

https://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Main_Page 

Date: 05/15/19 05:33
Author: mp51w

That looks like a neat spot!  You should put those on the Subway World Facebook page.

Date: 05/15/19 05:51
Author: joemvcnj

The two shiny tracks you see in the middle go down to the abandoned lower level Ninth Avenue staion, which used to continue as an el to McDonald Avenue, and head to Coney Island on what is now the F line. The el is demolished. There is no revenue service on these tracks to the lower level. 

The twisty routing of that D train is how revenue trains are routed into the 4th Avenue tunnel. The other tracks once lead to the 5th Avenue el, gone since the ealry 1940's.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0322 seconds