Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Passenger Trains > And they saved the Solari Board!!!

Date: 05/15/19 10:56
And they saved the Solari Board!!!
Author: GenePoon

Eero Saarinen's 1962 TWA terminal at JFK Airport is reopening, restored, as the TWA HOTEL.

In addition to a preserved Lockheed Constellation airliner as the bar, the Original Solari Board is restored!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/up-up-and-away-at-the-twa-hotel-at-jfk/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/19 10:59 by GenePoon.

Date: 05/15/19 11:52
Re: And they saved the Solari Board!!!
Author: mbrotzman

Does it work?

Date: 05/15/19 12:11

Yes, apparently completely reconditioned by the original maker in Italy.

Date: 05/15/19 12:32
Author: OTG

I believe that the building had power and a data feed to the main terminal, thus the clocks and the flight boards continued to update, though I'm not sure what kind of condition it was in (I doubt it was working 100%, especially when you look at some of the photos and see six flights from six different airlines arriving from Miami at the same time), but it was indeed in some semblance of working order prior to the refurb, which probably made it easier to refurb than if it had been abandoned completely.

Date: 05/15/19 13:05
Author: 4489

I wonder why they compared the TWA Terminal to a Post Office?  He asked hoping others get my drift.

Date: 05/15/19 20:42

"...six flights from six different airlines arriving from Miami at the same time..."

That might not be an error. They could all be the same airplane from Miami, probably on American Airlines, which acquired TWA, with connections from different international origins, all converging in Miami. The connecting itineraries, often originating on different airlines, are marketed under single flight numbers labeled by the originating carrier from wherever to Miami to JFK. This is called "code-sharing" and is often seen on itineraries through major international connecting hubs such as San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Miami.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/19 21:18 by GenePoon.

Date: 05/17/19 08:07
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

4489 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder why they compared the TWA Terminal to a Post Office?  He asked hoping others get my drift.

The comparison was to Grand Central Terminal, not Pennsylvania Station.  Too bad the preservationists couldn't have saved Penn Station.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0401 seconds