Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Passenger Trains > High water @ Fort Madison

Date: 05/30/19 09:05
High water @ Fort Madison
Author: mp51w

I took this shot out the back of #4 Tuesday, after leaving Fort Madison!
You can see the ex-CB&Q track on the right.  That's pretty darn close to the tracks! 
Surprised they haven't dumped some rip rap along the Mississippi river there?
The other two dicey areas I noticed, were West of Hardin at the Crooked River,
 and West of Carrolton in the Moss Creek watershed.

Date: 05/30/19 11:12
Re: High water @ Fort Madison
Author: King_Coal

Pretty soggy. I'm sure BNSF will do what it takes to keep this line open, although IIRC it went under back in 1993 during the big flood.
Wonder how our friends in Oklahoma are doing?

Date: 05/30/19 11:26
Author: joemvcnj

The MTA-NYCT Rockaway Line got a flood wall built aliong Jamaica Bay for future resilliance. Sandy washed it out. Maybe the midwest railroads have to start thinking along these lines:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockaway_Beach_Branch#/media/File:Rockaway_Restoration_(8894132088).jpg

Date: 05/30/19 18:54
Author: ProAmtrak

Anyone remembers back a few years ago when trains were swimming through that area?

Date: 05/30/19 20:12
Author: NYC4096

Yes, the water came up over the ties to just inches from the rails.  The conductor looked out the door at the lower level of a Superliner and told the engineer to go REAL slow.  It was the same swamp conditions on 6 when transiting the section connecting Omaha and Pacific Junction for a few weeks in the spring.

Date: 05/30/19 20:49
Author: jp1822

The "Fort" at Fort Madison was still taking on water at Fort Madison at beginning of May and the AT&SF steam loco parked out front had river water on the wheels. THe steam engine looked like it was floating on the water. Area is just so swollen with water - all the crossings at the Mississippi for Southwest Chief, CA Zephyr, Empire Builder. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds