Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak Possibly Stopping at TF Green Airport Station

Date: 06/12/19 17:41
Amtrak Possibly Stopping at TF Green Airport Station
Author: Passfanatic

I came across this article about Amtrak looking into stopping at TG Green Airport Station eventually.
  https://www.masstransitmag.com/rail/infrastructure/article/21084294/crisi-grant-to-explore-amtrak-stop-at-tf-green-airport

First, before Amtrak stops there, it would probably be good for Amtrak to enable MBTA to run faster below Providence and that would enable passengers who are heading to and from TF Green Airport and Wickford Junction to have a faster ride to Providence and Boston
     Second, as for Amtrak stopping there, there might be a lot of potential for that to happen. Being that Warwick is one of the largest suburbs of Providence, there are probably a lot of corporations that have offices in other cities along the Northeast Corridor causing business travels to use the train from the Providence area to and from points west.

Date: 06/12/19 17:54
Re: Amtrak Possibly Stopping at TF Green Airport Station
Author: CPR_4000

Passfanatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First, before Amtrak stops there, it would
> probably be good for Amtrak to enable MBTA to run
> faster below Providence ...

Isn't the T allowed to run at track speed? If not, why not? It's possible that the T's equipment can't run over X speed due to locomotive gearing.

Date: 06/12/19 19:02
Author: MattW

I believe the T is limited to 80mph. It's an equipment limitation, not Amtrak-imposed I believe.

Date: 06/12/19 22:33
Author: ST214

Correct. MBTA limit is 80MPH.

MattW Wrote:
> I believe the T is limited to 80mph. It's an
> equipment limitation, not Amtrak-imposed I
> believe.

Date: 06/13/19 04:56
Author: mbrotzman

Amtrak really doesn't need more stops on the NEC.  Each stop adds at least 5 minutes to the running time and that adds up quickly.

What the T needs are electric MU's or locomotives, but from what I have heard the major limitation is the need for a dedicated electric repair facility.  There is no land available in the South Bay area and the only other potential locations are the Transfer yard at Readville or the MoW yard near Providence, but Massachussetts would be unlikely to build a facility in Rhode Island.

Date: 06/13/19 07:27
Author: bluesboyst

mbrotzman Wrote:
> Amtrak really doesn't need more stops on the
> NEC.  Each stop adds at least 5 minutes to the
> running time and that adds up quickly.
>
> What the T needs are electric MU's or locomotives,
> but from what I have heard the major limitation is
> the need for a dedicated electric repair
> facility.  There is no land available in the
> South Bay area and the only other potential
> locations are the Transfer yard at Readville or
> the MoW yard near Providence, but Massachussetts
> would be unlikely to build a facility in Rhode
> Island.
There was plenty of room in Readville at the old new haven shop area but that is being developed now.....

Date: 06/13/19 09:52
Author: pennsy3750

mbrotzman Wrote:
> What the T needs are electric MU's or locomotives

Such beasts would be useful only on the Attleboro/Providence Line, since there's no overhead anywhere else, and no money to build any more.  Between that and the shop issue, its highly unlikely that MBTA will ever acquire electrics or EMUs.

Date: 06/13/19 10:21
Author: Lackawanna484

Isn't MARC suspending future electric operations partly due to Amtrak mark ups on power sales?

Posted from Android

Date: 06/13/19 11:30
Author: DavidP

An often overlooked benefit of an airport stop is use of the facilities by rail passengers.  Airports generally have lots of car rental options with better business hours, and plenty of secure parking options.  In some cases road access from suburban locations is better compared to city center stations.  That said, Providence isn’t New York City, so access and parking are less of an issue, and Amtrak’s relatively sparse service on the east end of the NEC limits it’s utility.  

Currently the MBTA trains serving TF Green use the non-electrified “third track” built by Rhode Island a decade or so ago.  I’m pretty sure this is the only track with platform access.  So Amtrak service, or any future electrically powered MBTA serice, would require significant investment to launch.  Regarding electrification and the T, a few months ago the Boston Globe reported that the T was negotiating with Amtrak to lease some electric locomotives to use on the Providence line.

Dave

Date: 06/15/19 12:22
Author: Wurli1938

An Amtrak stop at TF Green airport would certainly benefit travelers from Southern Rhode Island and Southeastern Connecticut  in travel0 to the airport.  Green Airport has far less congestion than Boston or going to NYC

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds