Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Passenger Trains > VA: Heat restrictions on the RF&P?

Date: 06/23/19 13:48
VA: Heat restrictions on the RF&P?
Author: Lackawanna484

I noticed the southbound Auto-Train, and trains 91 / 195 are all moving at undr 50 mph.  Is there a heat restriction or trains in the area?  Temp seems to be 85-90.

Thanks

Date: 06/23/19 13:59
Re: VA: Heat restrictions on the RF&P?
Author: kevinrail

train 92 14hrs late this morning at nyp

Date: 06/23/19 14:49
Author: twropr

From looking at times shown for #80, the train was running right on time until leaving Petersburg at 1:18 pm; last report as of this writing was 4:30 pm at Alexandria, 27 min Lt.  Since heat restrictions begin at 1 pm, I would say there is a good probablity they are on CSX's RF&P and Florence Divisions today.\
Andy

Date: 06/23/19 18:57
Author: engineerinvirginia

Yes heat orders all over Virginia on CSX.....they will most likely dwindle later in the month as the sun swings to the south....it's the angle of the sun as much as the temperature that determines whether to put out heat orders.

edit....I mean later in July....that's where my head is presently....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/19 07:02 by engineerinvirginia.

Date: 06/24/19 13:18
Author: PRR1361

Strange how the heat and sun angle have such a different effect on NS than on CSX.  Couldn't be related to the quality of the track structure, now could it? I have heard from authoritative sources that CSX skimps on ballast depth, NS goes deep.

Date: 06/24/19 13:37
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for the discussion.  Looks like today is about the same, with Auto-Train, 92, 95, 80, 91 all moving in the 39-45 mph range this afternoon.

92 just trudged through Ashland at a stately (slow) pace, looked like it might have been doing 30 mph.

Date: 06/25/19 05:04
Author: engineerinvirginia

PRR1361 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Strange how the heat and sun angle have such a
> different effect on NS than on CSX.  Couldn't be
> related to the quality of the track structure, now
> could it? I have heard from authoritative sources
> that CSX skimps on ballast depth, NS goes deep.

In places the grade is ten feet above the average elevation and that's all ballast. Ancient ballast. Like when the line was first laid. All I know is when they resurface they dump enough to raise the elevation a couple more inches. I've heard too about who puts down how much ballast but I know we both got fiber optic cables running inches under the grade and that has to bear on how you maintain the ballast.

Date: 06/25/19 06:58
Author: ctillnc

I've heard that the ballast and subgrade situation of the RF&P is why the max speed for passenger trains is 70 instead of 79. Don't know whether that's true.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.046 seconds