Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Passenger Trains > Fort Lauderdale Amtrak

Date: 07/17/19 19:58
Fort Lauderdale Amtrak
Author: JAmtrak

Hey. I want to fly to a airport and end up about a day’s train trip away from Ft Lauderdale. Anyone with any ideas as to how this can be done? TIA/ AIA/ KFC
Any train suggestions greatly appreciated

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/17/19 20:03
Re: Fort Lauderdale Amtrak
Author: P

Savannah, GA?

Date: 07/17/19 20:12
Author: niagara484

JAmtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey. I want to fly to a airport and end up about a
> day’s train trip away from Ft Lauderdale. Anyone
> with any ideas as to how this can be done? TIA/
> AIA/ KFC
> Any train suggestions greatly appreciated
>
> Posted from iPhone

Jacksonville, FL might be a good bet.  Fly in the night before, overnight at a hotel and then you have two morning departures (Silver Meteor or Silver Star) which get you to Ft. Lauderdale in the late afternoon.  I like the Meteor's schedule better because of the later departure time. 

If you want to overnight on the train, consider further north like Alexandria, VA (easily accessible from National Airport via Metro) or Richmond, VA.

Date: 07/17/19 20:28
Author: pdt

where r u flying from?

Date: 07/18/19 00:09
Author: JAmtrak

Flying in from SF Bay area but that is changeable. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/19 00:09 by JAmtrak.

Date: 07/18/19 05:24
Author: jeffgeldner

Another option would be Orlando if you are looking for a non-stop flight. The distance from the Orlando airport to the Orlando Amtrak station is a little over 11 miles, about a half hour using Uber , Lyft or a taxi.

American Airlines has a non-stop arriving into Miami from San Francisco at 5:58 AM. The distance from the Miami airport to the Miami Amtrak station is about 6 miles, a 20 minute drive using Uber, Lyft or a taxi.That flight would permit you to catch the Silver Meteor northbound. You could then ride it as far as Kissimmee and then return southbound to Ft. Lauderdale.

Jet Blue does have a non-stop to Ft. Lauderdale from SFO but it wouldn't arrive in time for you to catch the Silver Meteor for a same day round-trip as with the Miami option.

Other possibilities include Savannah and Jacksonville but both involve changing planes.

If you want to fly to Ft. Lauderdale a shorter trip riding different trains would be to ride Tri-Rail and Metro Rail to downtown Miami, then continue north to West Palm Beach on Virgin Trains USA (former name Brightline). It is then only 1/2 mile between the Virgin Trains USA station and the Amtrak station. You could then ride either Tri-Rail or Amtrak back to Ft. Lauderdale (keeping in mind that the southbound Amtrak Silver Star and Silver Meteor can run late). Also depends on where you might be staying in Ft. Lauderdale. If staying near the airport, the Dania Beach stop on Tri-Rail would be best. The Ft. Lauderdale Courtyard by Marriott is located right across the street from that station. I've stayed there twice- both times getting a nice view from the room of the CSX line to watch Trail-Rail, Amtrak and CSX trains from the hotel room.

Good luck!

Jeff Geldner
Sequoia National Park, California

Date: 07/18/19 06:09
Author: ts1457

I would consider Raleigh-Durham NC to leave Raleigh at 9:01 PM on the Silver Star. You would get almost a day of train travel to reach Ft. Lauderdale and also pick up the Tampa trackage.

Date: 07/18/19 12:18
Author: retcsxcfm

ts1457 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would consider Raleigh-Durham NC to leave
> Raleigh at 9:01 PM on the Silver Star. You would
> get almost a day of train travel to reach Ft.
> Lauderdale and also pick up the Tampa trackage.

You mean a day and a half on the Star.It is NEVER OT SB.

Uncle Joe

Date: 07/18/19 13:59
Author: sums007

This is not difficult.  If you look at an Amtrak timetable, you're going to see only two trains that go to Ft. Lauderdale, and they originate in New YOrk.  Since you asked for a day's trip, I take that to mean a 24 hour trip.  If you get on the Silver Meteor in DC, you'll get about 22 hours, if it's on time, which it usually is not. [Currently it's running almost two hours late.]  So fly to Washington Reagan, and it'll be an easy transfer to Washington Union Station.  If you want to torture yourself, take the Silver Star to Tampa :-)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.039 seconds