Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Passenger Trains > Northeast Corridor in the rain

Date: 07/18/19 19:10
Northeast Corridor in the rain
Author: King_Coal

A few from the 2 hours I had to spend on the Northeast Corridor near Crum Lynne PA on July 6. I arrived in the sunshine, but the first train didn't pass until there was a deluge going on. A friend calls these "art shots." I don't get back east too often, so it was what I had to work with.

1) North East Regional southbound train 161 rounds the corner between Ridley Park and Crum Lynne in a spray of water. Just about spot on time
2) NER 161 just about to knock down the home signal at Baldwin interlocking, just south.
3) Southbound Septa Philly to Wilmington local pulls away from its stop. The Conductor and Brakeman just stayed inside. Can't say I blame them.

Date: 07/18/19 19:20
Re: Northeast Corridor in the rain

4) NER 168 with ACS-64 624 leading passes under the Baldwin home signals, just about to cross Chester Pike.
5 & 6) AMT 97, the Silver Meteor with motor 659, rounds Ridley Park curve and heads onto the straightaway.

Impressive to see. I hope it's dry next time I visit.

Stay dry.

Bob
Omaha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/19 19:22 by King_Coal.

Date: 07/18/19 19:30
Author: DavidP

Excellent photos....and a good reminder that you don’t always need sunshine to create a good picture.  Thanks for sharing them.

Dave

Date: 07/18/19 19:58
Author: overniteman

Nice shots! That Septa shot is wild.

Date: 07/18/19 20:35
Author: gaspeamtrak

overniteman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shots! That Septa shot is wild.

Like "overniteman "said ,wild .
I totally agree ,wild !!! 
Those shots are amazing !!! 
Well done SIR !!!
Thank you for sharing !!! :):):)

Date: 07/19/19 00:56
Author: coach

I wonder how the engineers like the new electrics vs. the old AEM-7 "Toasters"??

Date: 07/19/19 02:39
Author: bobwilcox

Very nice.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 07/19/19 02:46
Author: jeff56

How in the world did you stay dry?
Guess this wasn't a pop-up shower.
Amazing pictures!

Date: 07/19/19 06:36
Author: robj

Well done, hard to pick the ebest one for IOTD.

Bob

Date: 07/19/19 07:13
Author: MSE

As a meteorologist who served Amtrak, Metrolink, and just about every freight RR in the nation, #4 is probably the finest "in the weather" shot I've ever seen. Congratulations. 

Date: 07/19/19 07:57
Author: symph1

Congratulations on some truly excellent photography.

Date: 07/19/19 08:01
Author: johnpage

There is always something very peaceful about riding a train in a rainstorm or in the snow.

These photos are superior and are to be savored.

Date: 07/19/19 08:34
Author: 55002

Wow - great photography. Who needs sun?  chris uk

Date: 07/19/19 08:47
Author: cabsignaldrop

Agreed, I believe these are the best rain action photos I've ever seen!

Posted from Android

Date: 07/19/19 10:55
Author: santafe199

Outstanding work! (...and I DON'T mean 'standing out in the rain, either'... ;^). Sometimes nature dumps all over our well-meaning intentions to go convert a few pixels. But it's up to us to turn that dump around into our collective advantages. IOTD? You bet! A couple of other IOTD candidates in this thread? Absolutely! Very well done...

Lance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/19 14:29 by santafe199.

Date: 07/19/19 14:23
Author: ns1000

GREAT pics!!

Date: 07/19/19 20:28
Author: atsf121

Amazing, the amount of water just seems unbelievable. Hope you’ve dried out by now.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/22/19 17:25
Author: VFPNSFAN

Really cool, fun to see something not frequently captured.

Date: 07/22/19 17:48

Thanks for everyone's kind words. A little more about my experience.  I had driven from Omaha to spend a weekend with my son, visiting friends at several locations on the way and in Philly. I headed to the airport, but got there 2 hours early so was planning to use the Crum Lynne Septa station as a cell phone lot until he was in baggage claim (it's about 5 minutes away.) I get to the station, and it was sunny. Nice curve (as seen in photo one) and interesting clouds. The interesting clouds should have been a clue to the clueless. I noticed South Jersey was lit up on my SUB weather app, but hey - in Nebraska the weather generally goes SW to NE so I should be cool.

I'm walking the station platform, which is empty on a Saturday afternoon. Point my camera south to get a photo of Baldwin Tower (as in Eddystone Baldwin.) That was when the first crack of thunder. A little rain on the platform now, but that's OK. I'll just go into the 100 year old PRR passenger shelter in case the rain gets worse.

About that time the wind picks up and the deluge begins. The first photo is 20" after I arrive. I did that under the roof of this ancient shelter. No problem if you stand inside because now the wind is blowing the rain into the shelter. I'll be OK, but then the drainage can't carry the water away from the shelter. Pretty soon I'm standing in water that's about to overtop my shoes.

Enough. I run the 50-60 feet to my car and get soaking wet. Of course the camera is under my shirt - you've got to have priorities you know. I turn on the radio and the Emergency Broadcast System fires off: Tornado Warnings for an area just north of Philly. I could have saved the mileage and driven to Kansas for this! The local news that night showed a video of a car being flipped over by the wind in a parking lot in New Jersey less than 20 miles away.

I stuck around and managed to get a few more photos between cloudbursts. (#97 the Silver Meteor shown). I texted one of my friends about my experience. He said I should suffer for my art. It was fun to see the trains and I'd do it again.

All the best.

Bob 
Omaha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/19 17:51 by King_Coal.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0635 seconds