Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Passenger Trains > Trip Report 49 SDY-CHI 8/5

Date: 08/07/19 14:36
Trip Report 49 SDY-CHI 8/5
Author: CP8888

Notes about the above trip which might be of interest.
Traveled in the 4920 sleeper (449) which was next to the power.
Unless you have earplugs/Advil would not advise this option. Engine noise
and horn all night. Did hear the crew limit horn use somewhat account
short blast in the very late hours.  The 49 sleepers were more costly but
next time I will pay it. Boston passengers consider the NY sleeper at Albany.
Contempo dining. Skipped "dinner" account train arrived at 7:30 PM.
Walked the 8 cars to the diner for a glass of wine which was promptly
served. The lone attendant cordial and served meals to passengers at
tables. Breakfast was the heated sandwich everything else cold except
oatmeal.  Sandwich was brought to me at table. Attendant took food
orders at tables.

Train arrived Chicago 9:53 AM only 3 minutes late.  It was a fast run and
no delays or freight interference.  CSX and NS did very well entire trip. At
Gary, Indiana we slowed  to approx 35 for track work on a siding but it was short.
That was it for an 800 mile run.  No waiting at Elkhart or Porter or anywhere.

Noticeable lack of  freight traffic on CSX. The yard at DeWitt (Syracuse)  was empty. No cars at all.....
There was only one crossover necessary on CSX that I recall.  Unusual. Where is the traffic??
Conductor after Syracuse mentioned 300+ passengers on board. I asked.

Four stars.

Date: 08/07/19 14:46
Re: Trip Report 49 SDY-CHI 8/5
Author: joemvcnj

In the 1970's, the Albany-Ren switching move was a little more complicated because the Boston section was put on in the rear, and its food service car did not run west of there. Then the NY baggage car could be up front. Maybe that's what they should go back to. 

Date: 08/07/19 16:12
Author: jp1822

Sounds like you had a good run across Ohio, through Elkhart, and into Chicago. Surprised you didn't arrive earlier, as if you had "no interference" the padding should have allowed for an even earlier arrival. Not doubt you at all, just saying. Course the good run could have also gotten what may have been a late train across updstate NY back on time etc. Glad to hear the traffic has eased between Elkhart nad Chicago, as my last trips had us crawling between South Bend and into Chicago. It was ridiculous! Many times train 49 was following the markers of train 29 all the way from Elkhart to Chicago.  

Date: 08/07/19 16:44
Author: CP8888

Yes we could have been late at Buffalo, Cleveland, etc.
There were some long station stops account 2 spots.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/07/19 19:41
Author: BRAtkinson

Even before the loss of the BOS section baggage car, I long ago swore off riding the Boston section sleeper due to incessant horn noise.  I ride coach from Springfield and move to a NY section sleeper at ALB.  Until the 'dog food special' meals, having the diner adjacent to the sleepers was nice. 

I went to Chicago and back on 449/49 48/448 2 weeks ago and slept comfortably in a viewliner roomette both ways.  I long ago got my 'sea legs' to walk through the 'first class lounge' and 6 coaches for breakfast in the morning.  And yes, I thought CSX has had a noticable drop in freight traffic as well.  I think there were only 6-7 meets with freights between ALB and CLE, and only one freight between ALB and SPG on the way home.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0826 seconds