Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Passenger Trains > Angels Flight

Date: 08/19/19 14:33
Angels Flight
Author: erielackawanna

While in DTLA at the end of July, had some time to kill. Grabbed some pizze from Olio at Grand Central Market and then headed over to Angels Flight (I shared the video that day, back on July 30). I hadn't actuall rode the funicular in some time and figured I'd take a ride up to Bunker Hill and back down. The ride is so quick it's frankly shorter than a lot of elevators, but still fun and worth it. 

Here are a couple pics to share.

Date: 08/19/19 15:07
Re: Angels Flight
Author: atsf121

Great photos, I think I’ve only seen it running once - and didn’t have a chance to ride it.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/19/19 16:15
Author: PHall

In it's original location it was about twice as long. But urban renewal took care of that.

Date: 08/19/19 19:04
Author: 2720

I got to ride Angels Flight in it's original location
back in the early 1960s as a kid on a family vacation!

Nice to see it running again!

Mike

Date: 08/19/19 20:13
Author: JimBaker

Back in my 'salad' days my dad stopped our '41' Chevy sedan on yje tiop of Hill Street and gave me a nickel and said: "Go Ride That"!
Thankfully,he stayed and waited for my return!
Ah, the memories!

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Date: 08/19/19 21:13
Author: Duna

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In it's original location it was about twice as
> long. But urban renewal took care of that.

Original was only 17 feet longer.

Built in 1901 to move people between Hill and Olive Streets, the original was 315 feet long.

Moved 1/2 block south in 1996, it is now 298 feet long.

The Bunker Hill Urban Renewal Project (redevelopment) was a terrible project. Today, the office/residential tower areas and Civic Center areas are sterile, unwelcoming. No one wants to walk there.

Much info about Angle's Flight and Bunker Hill on the web.

Date: 08/20/19 15:04
Author: Fredo

Around 1962 to 1965 every Saturday my mom & dad would take my Uncle downtown to shop at the Italian markets then up to Alhambra for 2 more stops then back to the corner of Gearhart & Pomona Blvd in East LA. My brother and I would often tag along as we had nothing better to do.Angel's Flight was real close to the first Italian Market and we would walk over to it and ride it a few times. As I recall it cost 5 cents a round trip. After he cooked us a great meal we would go home and try to get someone with a car to take us down to Lions Dragstrip at 223rd & Alameda and watch the races. I used to see the UP across the open field and had no idea that many years later that would be me. I enjoyed my travles on Angel's Flight as there were always a few odd charecters riding it along with us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/19 15:05 by Fredo.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0388 seconds