Home Open Account Help 148 users online

Passenger Trains > Boiling Man aka SR has published in Train Orders!

Date: 09/05/19 06:23
Boiling Man aka SR has published in Train Orders!
Author: raillady

I checked some of the articles in the Trains Magazine I had just received and found an article written by our own "Boiling Man" on the legend - Richard Steinheimer along with some of his photographs.  Good job SR!  Enjoyed it very much.  It is worth reading and checking out the old photographs.
Raillady
West Sacramento

Date: 09/05/19 15:49
Re: Boiling Man aka SR has published in Train Orders!
Author: GenePoon

Need to correct the thread title to "...published in TRAINS!"

Congratulations to Boiling Man and welcome to the fraternity of TRAINS authors!

Date: 09/05/19 16:46
Author: BoilingMan

Thanks RailLady and others.
SR

Actually, this is my 2nd TRAINS piece. They asked me to do a Readers Digestive (hmmmm... spellcheck. But I kinda like it) report on my year with the AFT for the 40th anniversary of the tour. It was in the September ‘16 issue.
But this one was my invention and felt far more personal.
I’m already bugging them with another idea...
Again, thanks!

Date: 09/05/19 17:41
Author: njfrn

Excellent work. Love that shot of #6 with the SP leader at the wig-wag crossing. The commentary makes it seem like a personal tour of the territory from someone who knows it inside and out.

Date: 09/05/19 20:59
Author: TopCat

Great article.

One question.  The picture of the Norden complex it appears from the “turntable lead” it connects to Main-2 (SP Days).  I always thought the turntable lead went towards Main-1.  Thanks for any info.

Top Cat

Date: 09/05/19 21:17

As built, the turntable sat in the center of an “X”, with leads to the #1 and #2 in both the East and West directions.
At the time I took the photo (Winter of 1984-85) the lead East connected to the #2 (towards Tunnel 41). The lead West connected to the #1, but I’m pretty sure it could actually be accessed from either the 1 or 2 by way of crossovers in the Western end of the shed.
Did that make any sense?
SR

Hey! I owe you a photo...

Date: 09/06/19 14:00
Author: PRR1361

Thanks Boiling Man for bringing back some fond memories.  Stein once walked me through the entire Norden shed complex as he pointed out the various features to me.  Later we stood atop the bore hole of the summit tunnel as he explained the complexities of it, and the building of the Chinese Wall beyond. Never to be forgotten!

Date: 09/06/19 15:32

I eventually met Stein, but it was a couple years after I took the photos in this article. I tagged along with him once up on The Hill- he was certainly accessible and interesting, although, I admit, a fair amount of the time I honestly had no idea what he was talking about.... he kinda rambled. (Ha! Genius is like that sometimes)
SR

BTW: The fellow silhouetted in the title photo of the TRAINS piece is Jeff Brouws. Jeff later authored the definitive book of Stein’s photography.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds