Home Open Account Help 382 users online

Passenger Trains > Charlotte: Don't be like Atlanta...

Date: 09/06/19 18:28
Charlotte: Don't be like Atlanta...
Author: Lackawanna484

Charlote has time to avoid becoming another Atlanta, one transit executive says.  But that will require coordinated development, and an intelligent mix of light rail , buses, cars, etc. As well as cooperation among four cities and three counties.

https://www.gastongazette.com/news/20190816/charlotte-has-time-to-avoid-traffic-like-atlanta

Date: 09/06/19 22:02
Re: Charlotte: Don't be like Atlanta...
Author: ts1457

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Charlote has time to avoid becoming another
> Atlanta, one transit executive says...

Sorry, transit guy. The horse was out of the barn about fifty years ago.  

I might add that Atlanta has something that Charlotte will never have - a heavy rail, rapid transit system. The first line was opened 40 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/19 22:14 by ts1457.

Date: 09/07/19 05:43
Author: RRTom

Preliminary Engineering for the new CATS line is about to start. It is significant that the route is supported by politicians of opposing parties.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/07/19 06:49
Author: steamloco

I was going to park down on the south end of the CATS line in a safe parking area and was going to ride up to the Amtrak station to take a trip up to Richmond because the CATS line goes by the Amtrak station but found out with Google Maps it goes by but it’s out in the middle NS’s Charlotte yard. I am not transferring to a bus in the ghetto to get to the station. Just drove from Greenville SC, cheaper anyway.

Date: 09/07/19 08:33
Author: ts1457

RRTom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Preliminary Engineering for the new CATS line is
> about to start. It is significant that the route
> is supported by politicians of opposing parties.

One more spoke of a fixed guideway system in how many years and at how much cost overlaid on an urban area which has dispersed origins and destinations.?

How is this going to turn out any different from Atlanta?

Date: 09/07/19 12:31
Author: ctillnc

Charlotte is managing to retain more of its growth, both commercial and residential, close-in compared to what Atlanta was able to achieve in the 1970s when Atlanta was about as large as Charlotte is now. 

Yes, the Charlotte light rail system does not have a convenient stop at the current Amtrak station. There are no plans to change this. The new Amtrak station will be on light rail. Until then, Charlotte bus 11 serves the Amtrak station and brings you to a light rail station downtown. Or if you're headed to northeast toward UNCC, you can take 11 outbound and walk to a light rail station in a better neighborhood.

Date: 09/07/19 16:30
Author: steamloco

Thanks for the info, I just don’t like bringing a suitcase on a bus but I know a lot of pilots and Amtrak employees stay up in the university area. I think Kannapolis is good parking but if you drive 150 miles to get to station you might as well just go another 250 miles and have a car.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0382 seconds