Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Passenger Trains > Acela Express is not showing Zero Availability

Date: 11/29/00 23:44
Acela Express is not showing Zero Availability
Author: MikeRonning

I just checked the ABOSWAS and AWASBOS displays on the Internet for 11DEC and trains 2150 and 2175 are not sold out. There was a question about this on All-Aboard.

I hope this clarifies any concerns.

Mike Ronning in San Luis Obispo

Date: 11/30/00 04:22
RE: Acela Express is not showing Zero Availability
Author: RyanAlen

Last time I checked yesterday the first days run had no first class seats left from New York to Boston, but buisness class was left, from D.C. to New York everything was still available.
Funny thing though with reservations, sometimes a trains number of seats left seems to go up and down for no apparent reason.

Date: 11/30/00 06:55
Author: NE933

While not actually riding it until sometime next year, I will be observing Acela from various locations starting with the week of Dec. 11. It's worth the late hour I'll have to stay out (9-10PM??).

Nice blurb in NY Daily news today about it, with picture of the rear locomotive and the last 3 cars or so wooshing past eager oberservers and photographers on the platform. One guy was crouched, presumably to brace himself from the wind shock of the train's speed.

Date: 11/30/00 06:59
Author: Lackawanna484

I don't know if Amtrak does it the way the airlines do, but here goes: airlines will accept non-prepaid reservations and hold them for a period of time, usually 48 hours, and will lock out the seats. If the seats aren't paid for, they are released. Travel agents will often book the 6-7-8 pm flights and just pay for the one they want, or pay for all three and refund the two they don't use.

I've never trusted Amtrak's systems, I've been told a hundred times sleeper's sold out, and it's empty with the conductor selling the space.

Date: 11/30/00 09:43
Author: CharlieA.

The first trip is sold out... both going and coming. A significant number of seats were blocked out for VIP's. Of course there may be changes as December 11th approaches, however, Amtrak is anticiapting standing room only both ways.

Chas

Date: 11/30/00 12:54
Author: mundo

Well, I must advise that Mike-Peter IS correct this time.

No Acela is sold out yet as of noon PST Nov 30. Lots of Business class available. First class is showing not available for dec 11 on 2150, but keep trying as space may be held for VIP's.

As to space being available one day to the other.
That can be caused time ticketing time options, cancellations
or space being blocked/openned by space control.

On trains that can have equipment added, space can be sold out one minute and open the next by adding a car.

Never accept a sold out with just one try.

Ed Von Nordeck

Date: 11/30/00 18:29
Author: GenePoon

As of 6pm PST Thursday, Nov. 30:

Available seats on the first day's Acela Expresses are ZERO in First Class, and approximately 160 on each train in Business Class.
This is for the entire trip; no doubt many of those who have reservations are on there for only part of the WAS-BOS route.

I expect that a few of those who have reservations may not show up. Unlike any other Reserved trains on the Amtrak system, Metroliners and Acela Express have NO HOLD LIMIT by which time you must purchase your tickets.

...Unless, of course, you are using the Web Site, which makes you pay for the tickets just to reserve a seat. Those who go to retail travel agents such as (mundo) Ed, or who call Amtrak or make reservations with a local station agent, can reserve Metroliner and Acela Express and not have to pay for it til departure.

Date: 11/30/00 19:48
See you on board?
Author: RevRandy

When I called AMTRAK at 9:58amET, on 11/29, the agent was glad to talk to me until the ACELA EXPRESS listing came on line at 10am, and I was easily booked into business class WAS-BOS and First/Executive BOS-WAS on the 11th - but noted that an attempt to actually book via internet at 10:13am let you think there was room until the pricing screen came on, when a sold out status was noted and other trains substituted.

Now, as to standing room only on a totally reserved-seat train ....hmmmm

My biggest surprise (after finding out there was no pick-up deadline) was going to local station (WBG) to get ticketted -- made the agent's day! My reservation number indicated I was the second ordinary (read non-VIP) reservation in the ACELA EXPRESS system, and certainly the first such ticketing Williamsburg. So, I was asked for permission for office staff to run a duplicate of my reservation, etc etc -- in the boonies, ACELA EXPRESS still holds some interest.

Since AMTRAK was nice enough to schedule their ACELA EXPRESS start-up on my birthday, I am glad I can grace their offering with my presence. And I would be glad to meet any other trainorder riders who happen to be aboard to celebrate. I'll leave it up to you to try to figure out which among the many I happen to be!

Bon Voyage!

Date: 12/01/00 06:50
Author: dchui

GenePoon wrote:
> I expect that a few of those who have reservations may not show
> up. Unlike any other Reserved trains on the Amtrak system,
> Metroliners and Acela Express have NO HOLD LIMIT by which time
> you must purchase your tickets.

What about for NortheastDirect or Acela Regional? I once made a reservation by phone for Acela Regional and was given a reservation number but, to my surprise, not a date by which to get the ticket.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0496 seconds