Home Open Account Help 209 users online

Passenger Trains > HHP-8 #658

Date: 12/05/00 17:31
HHP-8 #658
Author: dcwarner

Amtrak has conditionally accepted the fifth HHP-8, No. 658. For a complete list of accepted HHP-8s, go to:

http://communities.prodigy.net/trains/hhp8date.htm

dcwarner
wilmington, de

Date: 12/05/00 17:34
RE: HHP-8 #658
Author: TRACKMAN

HHP-8#663 and 3 amfleets were out doing an unusual brake test today east of 30th street.

Date: 12/05/00 18:47
RE: HHP-8 #658 ???
Author: jackh

I live on the West Coast and am not familiar with the NE Corridor. Where can I find info on these HHP-8s? Are these going to be the new AEM7 type locos or are they part of the Acela train?

Date: 12/05/00 20:24
RE: NJ Transit HHPs'??
Author: RyanAlen

Doesn't NJ Transit have HHP's on order as well?
Does anyone know the schedule for their delivery seeing that the Amtrak order is moving toward completion?

Date: 12/05/00 21:16
RE: HHP-8 #658
Author: fpowell

HHP-8 # 658 was on a revenue train on 11/22/00. I saw it in Trenton, NJ on what I think was a Keystone train.

Date: 12/05/00 22:13
RE: NO NJ Transit HHPs'
Author: GenePoon

NJT's new electrics have nothing to do with the HHPs besides a common track gauge.

They will be built by AdTranz, formerly the rail transit division of Daimler-Benz, which has been sold by its financially strapped owner to Bombardier. The new units are based on the Series 101 locomotives built by AdTranz for Deutsche Bahn.

Date: 12/05/00 22:14
Missing Link/artist's conception of new NJT engine
Author: GenePoon

Date: 12/06/00 03:24
NJT order not and MARC yes
Author: Jaap

Only other order for HHP's is from MARC

Date: 12/06/00 05:58
To jackh - Video of HHP-8 and Acela
Author: oaksmodelrr

There are videos of the Acela and one of the HHP-8 in the Amtrak movie archive here http://www.trainweb.org/oaksmodelrr

The first deliveries of the 15 HHP-8 motors have been running 3 car Amfleet trains in the first stage of testing, then 7-8 cars in second stage before entering revenue service. I had originally thought they would start replacing the E60CP motors on the southern trains like the Silver Star and the Crescent, but I have not seen one on these trains yet. Instead they are mostly replacing single or double headed AEM-7's on Amfleet trains.

Date: 12/06/00 06:09
HHP8's on long dist.
Author: NE933

Amtrak's website used to have a similar forum like this one at TrainORders, called "TrakTalk". It was abolished when mischieves started posting vulgar messages out in the open.

Before that happened, someone asked about the use of the HHP's on the heavy trains to Florida and New Orleans. Amtrak rep. said that the locomotives' braking systems are not compatible with the freight type used on the express and material handling cars, and therefore, these trains (dependant on express revenue) must be handled by AEM7's.

Dont' know if anything's changed since then. Anyone else want to add to this?

Date: 12/06/00 06:53
Graduated vs Direct Release
Author: oaksmodelrr

I remember the discussion regarding the AEM-7's not being allowed to run the long distance trains because they had a braking system incompatible with the express cars on the long distance trains. So if the HHP-8's and AEM-7's can't run the Star, the Crescent, the Rivers, etc., does this mean the E60CP's have been given a reprieve? Since the Fast Mail is a AEM-7 with a bunch of MHC's, I guess the MHC's are ok but not the new boxcars or roadrailers? BTW I have never seen Roadrailers on the corridor east of Philadelphia. Does any train run them up to NYC or Boston? NYC Penn probably can't handle them like 30th Street Station and the Post Office next door can, but can Boston? Would a RoadRailer sneaking into NYC Sunnyside without a Teamster on board cause trouble????

Date: 12/06/00 13:13
RE: Roadrailer restriction
Author: Jaap

Roadrailers do not fit trough penn-station and the tunnels as the oudside tires would hit the LIRR third rail.
same on MNCR wereever third rail no roadrail :-)))

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds