Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Passenger Trains > Hotels near LA Station?

Date: 12/13/00 22:58
Hotels near LA Station?
Author: BRubino

Are there any good hotel/motels near the LA Union Station? I was going to plan a trip in Jan. on 11/14. I will need to spend the night before my trip and the night after.
Are any within walking distance? Is this a good neighborhood?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

BR

Date: 12/13/00 23:07
RE: Hotels near LA Station?
Author: stash

Metro Plaza is within sight of Union Station. I stayed there recently; served the purpose well. 1-800-223-2223. Nothing fancy; but clean.

AAA two diamonds only. About $70/nite.

Neighborhood OK. Edge of downtown north of civic center and freeway. South side of Chinatown. Probably considered a safe neighborhood by LA standards.

Date: 12/13/00 23:10
Author: mundo

This questions comes up about once a month.

One block away is the Metro Plaza Hotel. 213 680 0200
or 800 223 2223. Used by train crews. Price $55-75
Tell them you are using Amtrak. Might help.

Not the best area, but not the worse either. Just a old part of town.

Date: 12/13/00 23:25
RE: Metro Plaza?
Author: BRubino

So, would it be a safe option to walk to the hotel? I won't have a lot of bags; probably a backpack and maybe a small duffel.

Thanks for the info.
BR

Date: 12/13/00 23:53
Author: GenePoon

As a retail travel agent, I frequently book the Metro Plaza for passengers using LAUPT. The walk between the station and the Metro Plaza is short, and perfectly safe in the daytime if you pack light. Try and avoid the pack mule approach...a good tip wherever you travel.

Date: 12/14/00 07:55
Author: BobM

If cost is an object, and you can walk a couple more blocks, check out the Best Western Golden Dragon, which I think is on North Broadway. They have a special $50 rate for the USC Hospital. Just tell them the hospital referred you, and you will get the rate. Includes a modest continental breakfast, and the place is decent. BTW, the railfan eatery is Philippe's, 1001 N. Alameda, a block north of the station and on the opposite side of Alameda. Be sure to go in the back room where there is normally a nice display of O gauge models, photos, etc about LA railroading. Order the chili "straight", if that is your bag. Enjoy.

Date: 12/14/00 07:59
Author: SteveD

Check Archives..This Topic Discussed a few months ago here.

Date: 12/14/00 12:51
Phillipe'
Author: forcemajeure

There's no "S" in Phillipe'.
TFM
there's no s in tfm
tfm
there's no s in . . .
there is too and s in
kcs
doh
!
(nelson laugh)

Date: 12/14/00 16:43
RE: Metro Plaza
Author: RioGrande

I stayed there before. Nice room. $70. Easy walk across the parking lot from LAUPT

Date: 12/14/00 17:48
Author: av

And there are some good places to eat on Olvera Street nearby. At first glance the Metro may not seem ok. But it is actually pretty good. The walk to the Hotel is practically all in the parking lot. Don't be affraid, just cautious, the usual rural and suburban cautions apply (lets not make cities seem worse than they are!).

Date: 12/14/00 23:07
Author: pacificeclectic

Metro Plaza seems to get the nod for staying w/in walking distance. As noted, don't get creative and go walking too far without advice or good directions. The Red Line gives good access to a number of exceptional touristy areas that are unique to Los Angeles including Hollywood, La Brea Tar Pits. You are within reasonable walk of Olvera Street, Chinatown, Little Tokyo as well. Red Line to Pershing Square north exit gives access to Angel's Flight, Grand Central Market & Wells Fargo Museum (west from top of AF).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds