Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Passenger Trains > Monterey Proposal

Date: 11/01/19 21:58
Monterey Proposal
Author: webmaster

A few weeks ago I reported about our handcar enterprise we are attempting to startup on the Monterey Branch Line.  Our hearing video was posted on the internet for streaming.  Grab a bag of popcorn and watch the show:

https://videoplayer.telvue.com/player/m_3HX6961GRMsvkqSCdwmGeJ8rwpRZrR/media/521275?fullscreen=false&showtabssearch=true&autostart=false
Starts at the 44 minute mark. Drag the slider to the 44 minute mark.

Info about our proposal:  https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,4888560,4891165#msg-4891165
Our web site: http://www.handcar.com

I would not judge all the elected officials in Monterey County as being jerks.  There are some very good guys that are working to keep our concept alive.  We have five firm yes votes, abnd four more that are yes that we hope to keep.  On the opposition we have five firm noes.  Final tally on this hearing was 6 opposed 9 for.  We'll hopefully return in January for an approval, though we could receive the hatchet at any point in the process.  

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 11/01/19 22:35
Re: Monterey Proposal
Author: pdt

best of luck.    Is any of the opposition have concrete reasons...or just the usual ppl who dont like trains and want the tracks ripped out. (not that u can talk about it)

For the life of me, I cant understand why some ppl dont like trains.  I guess they dont like any public transportation.  Ive had 1 or 2 friends who just loved driving....
i'll never understand that either,

Date: 11/01/19 22:48

pdt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> best of luck.    Is any of the opposition have
> concrete reasons...or just the usual ppl who dont
> like trains and want the tracks ripped out. (not
> that u can talk about it)
>

Opposition is in fear we might throw a monkey wrench in the way of a $35 million dollar bus lane to be built in the right-of-way that will carry a handful of buses each morning during rush hour.  All we are asking for is a 30 day trial, but the fear is the public will love the concept and we'll become permanent.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 11/01/19 23:16
Author: pdt

Most likely they could care less about the busses...i mean they will only get to castoville/salinas before getting into heavy traffic....but they really care about their friends/campaign donors getting that 35M contract.  Its conflict of interest for sure,  but has become such an engrained part of our politics.    Even Jerry Brown, who was supposed to be a little more honest than ur average politician, kept Caltrains busy an unspoken quid for the union endorsement.  And the CAHSR.....I think he really believed in it, but could only get it started by offering a jobs promise in a quiet exchange for votes.

If this were NJ or PA, you' wouldnt have a chance, as ALL the politicians would be paid off by the ppl getting the 35M contract.   As bad as things might be here in CA, its still a whole lot better than the east coast or chicago area.

Date: 11/02/19 10:13
Author: Westbound

Did I understand that right - the track to be used is fenced on both sides?
If so, their discussion is just a waste of time. Typical government types, wasting time rather than simply approve it and move on to other matters.

Date: 11/02/19 10:29
Author: jcaestecker

Good Luck Todd,

We're all rooting for you.  Would like to see something like that down at Campo one day.

-John, Heidi, Martin and James

Date: 11/02/19 10:35
Author: coach

They have $35 million for dumb buses, but not to rebuild the line to allow an extension of train service from the Bay Area.  DUMB!!!!!!!!!

Date: 11/03/19 07:08
Author: dancollins3

Please keep up the great work!
Dan

Date: 11/03/19 20:03

Westbound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did I understand that right - the track to be used
> is fenced on both sides?
> If so, their discussion is just a waste of time.
> Typical government types, wasting time rather than
> simply approve it and move on to other matters.

Yes, it is fenced on both sides.  A freeway fence on one side and the park fence on the other.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0754 seconds